Sign in to follow this  

Best Bike for a Colorado Kid

Hello all, My name is John and I have been having a hard time finding anyone in my area who knows of a bike that will fill my needs.

first off my Variables:6'1" Tall, 165 pounds, Intermidiate skill level, I have a $4000 budget so I will be looking at used bikes, I will be doing mostly trails from 4000-10000ft with maybe a mx track a couple times a year, I have not owned a bike but I have been riding other peoples bikes for years. I have no preference 2 or 4 stroke.

I have done some reserch and I really like KTM 450s and 300s and I can find them in my budget in my area. I honestly do not know much about the other brands because I have mostly ridden KTM. this is why I have come to you. To find if there is something that I am missing from other makers or just to get a better understanding of what KTM I should be buying (450?400?300?EXC?XC?XCE?CR250?).

Thank you for any and all help!

John

Edited by JohnnyJumper

Well, you have alot of options at $4K, but I would stick with KTM. Depending on your riding style, you might try a KTM 200/250/300 XC. I ride a 2007 300 XC and I love the bike...its a trail beast. I like to lug, so the bike is perfect for me with tons of low end grunt. The 300s can also be tuned to scream. If you like riding on the pipe alot, you might prefer a 250 or a lighter 200. I know a guy that rides a 250 SX on trails and is very happy with the bike. The 2 stroke are going to be more versitile from trail to track than the heavier 4 strokes. Dont get me wrong, the 4t Enduro KTMs are great...but not optimal for MX riding.

JJ...what part of Colorado do you live in? I am in Denver Metro area and I rarely see KTMs...let alone KTM 300's, below $4000 unless they have a lot of hours/miles and/or are 2006 and older. I think moto_rider is giving you good advice (as usual) if you want a 2 stroke.

Given your budget, you might open up your search a bit and go for the best year and condition you can find. Since you will be mainly trail riding with an occasional trip to MX track, here are the bikes I would look for:

2 Strokes

• KTM 300 EXC
  • KTM 300 XC-W
  • KTM 300 XC
  • KTM 250 XC-W
  • KTM 250 XC
  • KTM 200 EXC
  • KTM 200 XC-W
  • Kawasaki KDX200 (last produced 2006)
  • Kawasaki KDX220 (last produced 2005)

4 Strokes

• KTM 450EXC
  • KTM 450 XC
  • KTM 450 XC-W
  • Yamaha WR450F
  • Honda CRF450X
  • Suzuki RMX-450Z (very rare)
  • Kawasaki KLX450R (2008 was first year of this model)

If you can find a low hour/low mileage KTM 2 Stroke XC/XC-W/EXC for less than $4K....grab it. I wouldnt recommend the KTM motocross bikes (SX models) for our riding here in Colorado unless you are mainly riding tracks.

For the 4 strokes listed WR450F is probably the most reliable. May be able to get '07 or older for $4k and under. The KLX450F is probably the one you can find the best deal/condition on as these are less well known than the WR or CRFX. A KTM 450 (or larger) is going to be tough to find for less than $4K unless it is 2006 or older and/or has a bunch of miles.

The four strokes listed above are all about 30-35 lbs heavier than the two strokes (usually due to battery, elec start, lights, and heavier 4 stroke motor). 4 strokes will be more expensive when it comes time to rebuild.

I have gone the route of buying a 2 and 4 stroke MX bikes and making them trail bikes, but at least for me, I ended up dumping enough money into them (one change at a time), that I would have been better off just buying the wide ratio transmission enduro bike with lights and greater stator capacity to begin with. I finally did that and bought a used '10 Husaberg FE450 that I plated so I can ride anywhere.

Thanks for all the feedback you guys. I acctualy just picked up a 2008 KTM XC-F in Littleton yesterday for $2000. The add said $3500 O.B.O so it took some negotiation. I think that it was a pretty stelar deal (very uncommon) but i suppose it just goes to show that deals are out there.

I really appriciate all the help! John

Those are good bikes, but a bit higher maintenance than the 2 strokes. Just make sure you check the valve clearances ASAP..it will just cost you some time and a gasket. If you dont own a manual, buy one.