Sign in to follow this  

2007 TTR 230 makes clicking noise when attempting to start

When I try to start the bike, the Starter Relay Assembly makes a fast clicking noise and the bike doesn't start. It is part #17 in this diagram (http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/YAMAHA/2007/TTR230/ELECTRICAL-1) There are two fuses attached to the relay assembly, and I was wondering if one of them could be the cause of the clicking, or if I would have to replace the assembly. Would it be possible to repair the assembly instead of replacing it? Thanks!

Im guessing you hear the sylenoid clicking . have you checked to see if battery is good and charged ?

Is that the sylenoid in the diagram? I've never worked on a motorcycle with an electric start, so I dont know jack about this thing... I've got a charger capable of 2 amps, how long should I let it charge for?

Like riggy said, it's probably the battery, especially if it's been sitting a long time without use. What's probably happening is that the voltage is sufficient to close the relay when trying to start the bike. Since the battery is weak, voltage drops when power is applied to the starter (it's a big load on the battery). Voltage then falls low enough that the solenoid drops out. When the solenoid drops out, the electrical load is removed and battery voltage recovers. Then the relays closes again and the cycle repeats.

Other causes could be the relay itself (bad contacts, shorted/weak coil), corrosion on battery terminals or corrosion at the starter or even the starter itself. Make sure all of the connections are good and clean. You could test the relay itself with an ohmeter, but try charging up the battery first. If you have a stock battery, voltage should be about 12.8 volts minimum with no load on it. The manual has a voltage vs. charge time graph in it. If you have a smart charger, just plug it in, hook it up and let the charger do its thing. If not, charge for an hour or two and see where your voltage is. Then, charge more if necessary and check voltage every hour or so. Even with so-called smart chargers, I remove the charger when the charger says the charge cycle is complete.