Sign in to follow this  

How do I remove this spring?

I feel like a dope for asking. But how do I remove this spring? I figured I could compress the spring, and slip the lower keeper out. Then again, I was figuring it would be slotted. Oops!

CR85Shocksmaller.jpg

What does this shock come off of? I would loosen the preload rings until you have some play in the spring. Once you do this, see if the spring seat at the bottom has multiple pieces held in place by a circlip. Once the circlip is removed, you should be able to slide the spring off through the bottom of the shock. If the spring doesn't come off this way, then I am not sure what you would do.

It will come off the same way all of mine have come off. Back your preload locknuts or adjusters off all the way as far as they will go. Slide the spring to the top of the shock and push the rubber bumper on the shaft up as far as needed. The spring sits in a recess on that silver washer at the bottom and it has a split in it so it can be taken off the shock shaft. Remove this washer and the spring will slide right off the bottom of the shock. Reassemble the same way. I'm way out of the desired weight range on every bike I buy so I always have to respring.

as said above, two collars in halfs that sit in the cup. loosen off the preload rings then seperate them. then you can slip the cup off with the spring.

Yeah, it made sense, once I compressed the spring. Next time, I'll definitely fab the correct tool for the job. This time I used my home made bead breaker (that I never had TIGged together), a junky press, and a bunch of clamps. Man, it was bending that 8020 to compress the spring. I had to repiosition for less leverage. I'm a dope. But it did work.

GhettoEngineering.jpg

you can go to all the car workshop and ask to remove the spring whit the right tool,remeber the spring can go off if use dangerous tool.

on workshop a little payment for a good work