Sign in to follow this  

Baffel or No Baffel......and Jetting Help for CRF150F

Hi everyone I just got a 2003 crf 150f in great shape and the question I finally trying to get a proper answer for is....

Is it safe for the bike and engine to run with the baffel out? Some say it's fine and can give you more power as in the case I have read and also remember seeing a service bulletin honda put out for this bike when it came out to remove the air snorkels and baffle. Of course If I were to remove the baffel no I would not just leave it open I would get a power tip or something for it to sound better and keep dirt out.

I also find that it's hard to start in the fact it takes a long time to warm up which I read can be fixed by bigger jets.....once it's warmed up it runs like a champ but just takes abit to warm up and you have to keep some throttle on it until then or it wants to stall. What jets do you recommend as I don't want to go to big or not enough.

Thanks all the help will be apprecaited

i think you are talking about the spark arrestor (the tip bolted on the end of the pipe with screen attatched) you need to leave this in or else you are creating a fire hazard (flames can and will pop out of the pipe.) take a flashlight and look inside the pipe and you can see all the baffle stuff. there is some perforated metal and other stuff welded in there. at least this is what is on my 100, i see you have a 150. there is a special section for the 150's

Yes I know what the spark arrestor is and thats why if it's safe to run without the baffel and I got with just a power tip they include the spark arrestor screen.

You need to leave the baffle in unless you change the jets. It will run lean and warm without the proper jets.

Do a search for the correct jetting with the baffle removed. The larger jets will also help it to warm up faster.

Ok not to sound rude lol but has anyone actually read what I first wrote before commenting lol.....Yes I want to remove the baffel if it's safe for my engine to do so which is one thing I am trying to figure out....Yes I know that I need jets but I asking what sizes I would be needing as don't want to big or small.

This needs to posted in the 150f/230f section. Being a 2003 it probably already has been jetted. Back then there was a big thing about those bikes coming super lean from the factory. More than usual. Taking the baffle out doesn't do a whole lot except make more noise. Probably a simple fuel screw adjustment would compensate. But anytime you increase air flow, you go up in you jetting. But see what you have now and then go to the 150f section and do a search for the older models and jetting. Use the term "power up" and jets or jetting. that should get you to the older threads. But you never jet a bike by what someone says on a computer, you jet it by how it runs. If you say it run fine then it probably doesn't need to be fussed with. Just try some fuel screw adjustments to help a be on start up.

Edited by socalxr