Sign in to follow this  

unwritten track law

So on a casual ride on the track what is the rules regarding where to ride, what lines to take etc

Im fairly new to the track so whats general rule of thumb, Do i try stay 1 line ? furthest to left or right?

I can hear faster guys coming up behind just before a jump. I should just stay my line and hope the ride around (over) me?

Sometimes i admit i get initimidated by them and want to move out of the way but doing so would probably stuff their lines up possibly making it more dangerous.

any other unwritten rules i need to know about?

ALWAYS hold your line. You're right about screwing somebody else up and possibly causing a collision trying to get out of their way.

It is usually a good idea to stay to one side or the other if you're not doong a jump, or at least out of the main line. But make sure you're already in that line before you get to the jump (see above)

It's also nice, if you're comfortable taking a hand off the bars at speed, if you point to the side you want somebody to go by on.

Also, make you're not going to cross anyone's line before entering or exiting the track.

like said above, #1 rule is going ot be hold your line.

faster riders will find a way around. You would be better glancing at the person coming up on you, then atleast they would be aware your aware of where they are. No need to take a hand off.

The best way to avoid uncomfortable situaltion is be aware of your surroundings, which is sounds like you are. If you can time when you let guys by, I like to 'let' them by in corners, where it's easier to keep track of where they are. It's hard to go into depth about what holding your line is, because it changes so much with circumstances. Some times crossing the track to catch inside or out side lines on different direction corners is holding your line. The first thing i would try to guage is how much faster are they then you. If they are close to your speed, they are going to have to work their way around you and hopefully not be suprising. Usually it's the fast guys that suprise you and don't mind passing close.

Just don't make any sudden sporadic line changes, like cutting from one side of the track to the other quickly with someone coming up on you.

Edited by Die_trying

Yeh those fast buggers scare the crap outta ya sometimes. I swear they get as close as possible just to stir ya

I agree that staying on your line is important. I also try to stand up when I'm not going quick, to make sure others can clearly see I'm not going quick.

I also pay attention to what is happening around me, I try to glance over my shoulder when I'm in a corner to see if someone is coming up quickly behind me. Sometimes I'll just throw the hammer down and not have to change anything, other times I'll just take the wide line and let them take the inside. I'll also pop off the track if there is a group of quicker guys and I don't have the energy to stay in front of them.

If you arn't clearing the jumps, I do think you should pop off the track because it will just piss the quicker guys off. I get into trouble all the time with guys on 450's who don't throttle up to the jump and just blip it at the last second, where I need all the speed possible to clear it. So being conscious about what's going on around you, thats really the key.

I truly wish they handed out a piece of paper to everyone as they go through the gate with "etiquette" rules. We'd have less crashes... Its funny, on the roadracing track for open practice events, you need to go through a certification course before you can even set foot on the track. Even then, everyone is put into groups via speed which is calculated through laptimers. So yea, I'm still shocked we don't see more accidents.

Im clearing all the jumps, im on a 450 so its a bit easier to get the speed up although the real fast guys usually are going almost twice my pace lol

Im clearing all the jumps, im on a 450 so its a bit easier to get the speed up although the real fast guys usually are going almost twice my pace lol

Yep and riding behind the average weekend-warrior 450 guy is very annoying on my 125 because I rail the corners and they are stopped in the corners having a cup o' tea. LOL :smirk:

Edited by tye1138
  • Like 1

Just try and ride how you normally would try not to worry about the faster guys. It can mess with you mentally. However, Most of the time they should be able to find an alternate line and blow by you. If they cant then they have to work on there passing. It is scary rolling huge triple when people are launching them though.

I didn't think this needed to be said, but everyone on the track should be a flagger if needed. Yesterday someone fell after a double at a jump with no flagger. Several riders rode right on by! The kid was lucky he didn't get landed on. I always stop on the takeoff to avoid someone landing on a downed rider, even if there is a flagger, since common practice nowadays is to completely ignore flags.

• Like 2

Not riding as often as id like but I go to places like louee, lochmaree and menai most the time

On jumps, if I know I'm only going to double or single through (presuming we're talking about a triple, I guess...) I always do my best to make sure I'm on the far right hand side. I heard that once and notice a lot of people at various tracks doing this basic thing. Unless the fast line is there, or the lip is better there, then I'll switch to the opposite side.

When I was a newbie I would get suuuuuuper nervous about people and I just learned what everyone said above...hold your line, a quick glance and a head nod is sometimes all you need.

And unless it's a race (hopefully there are enough flaggers at a race!), or the rider is down in an obviously safe place where everyone coming up can see, please always stop. I try my best to do this and I have been down a few times where people have for me. I was at the bottom of a big dip right after the landing of a 95' triple that I went for and missed, and subsequently rolled down. Just laid out right in the middle. Luckily, someone stopped and flagged people down on the lip, because the landing was blind!

Yes HOLD YOUR LINE. if you're flying by someone the brain calculates where you can go and moves to the next thought process, when you move sometimes its too late and you and the other rider could get slammedddd

ALWAYS hold your line. You're right about screwing somebody else up and possibly causing a collision trying to get out of their way.

It is usually a good idea to stay to one side or the other if you're not doong a jump, or at least out of the main line. But make sure you're already in that line before you get to the jump (see above)

It's also nice, if you're comfortable taking a hand off the bars at speed, if you point to the side you want somebody to go by on.

Also, make you're not going to cross anyone's line before entering or exiting the track.

Very good advice.

We should modify the statement to hold your line on that side of the track. I got in an argument with a spodes dad after nearly taking him out from him crossing from left to right. I stopped to have a word with spodely about this and his dad came running up to me yelling about jr holding his line. I informed him that this means hold a line on one side of the track or the other. It took a bit of "splainin" but I think dad and jr finally understood the concept.