Sign in to follow this  

obsolete

Hey all,

I got a big reality check today.

I ride a 1992 CR 250 I love to death I put way to much in so I'll probably never sell it.

But I went to the parts store to get some plastic and the guy told me something that freaked me out.

he said " I am surprised they still make parts for that bike cause of how old it is "

I was half temped to start ordering and stock piling parts for the bike.

what do you guys think??

are parts for the 1992-1996 Cr 250s getting to the point of being obsolete??

I'm with you, just sold my 84 cr 250 for that reason. check out the thread, thanks for the memories. I loved the bike, but with every ride I felt myself getting closer to breaking a bike I can't get many parts for anymore. I wish I was in a position to just keep it and get another, but I am not. I sold it, and it stings a little. I have to ride what I have, wifes rules, not mine.

So I picked up an 03 for what I sold the cr for, hopefully that will buy me a few years in available parts. I picked up a 1990 ktm 125 as a project, thought I would tinker over the winter. Ktm pretty much makes no parts earlier than 1994 I believe, and a manual was impossible to find. I was lucky to sell it to a buddy who wants the chassis for a hybrid project. Got my money back anyway.

It's sad to me that the older bikes are becoming extinct. eventually are we all going to have to spend 7000 for a bike we bought because it's all the manufacturers have? I would love to try one of those 4t mx bikes, can't afford it. Can't afford the bike, can't afford the parts, I'm not trying to say poor me, I have 2 very nice bikes that I am very happy with, but both bikes together would be a dowm payment on a new one.

Parts manufacturers need to keep these parts coming, we'll buy them. I graduated from high school in 1990, doesn't seem that long ago, and the fact that parts from the 90's are getting tougher to get makes me feel like the writing is on the wall. I'd buy up everything they have if you wanted to keep that bike and ride it in the future. Sorry about the long rant, it is early and I have alredy had too much coffee. Good luck!

I'm going through this with my still brand new 89' CR250. They should NEVER discontinue parts, just stop manufacturing them maybe, but still have them all available on a made to order basis. 92' you will still be able to get most if not all parts for, they will start to discontinue them next year or the year after probably.

Edited by Atieri
  • Like 1

I hope they dont stop providing parts for the old girls i just bought a 92 and a 94 and hope to keep them for a long while!

Doubt this will be a prob for a loong time; there is just too large of a market for them...if OEM runs out of them, then the aftermarket (read CHINESE) will make them.

This is not to say that "rarely needed"/odd parts will not be hard to find, as the market for them is slim. That is where salvage yards and CL come into play.

It would also not suprise me if the Chinese did not soon offer a CR clone, as they currently do for the CRF450, given the global economy. And the Australians (where the CRF450 clone is most popular) say that it is indeed a value, so---!!

I have the same issue with my 1990 250. Lucky for you and your 92, parts are a bit easier to get. I can still get all new aftermarket plastics (except the tank) for my 90, so getting plastics for your 92 should be ok. But who knows how long this will be a viable option.

The problem is finding things like certain gaskets, carb kits, fork kits, and other smaller pieces. We're lucky that a lot of items are generic and interchangeable with other models. I've been placing orders from time to time for items i think i will need in the near future, just to ensure i have them when the time comes.

Its not as bad as the 80's models that had the water pump problems, which are to the point where its getting impossible just to keep the bikes running.

Edited by yellowdatsun

I've been pulling my hair out, due to the same issue. Only I'm trying to plan for the future. I have a 2001, which I love to death and would keep forever besides the fact that the majority of the parts are shared with only one other year, the 2000. Where as the next generation cr250's share a lot of parts from '02-'07.

I own and have restored several early '70's mx and street bikes. It hit's close to home when you pay 2 or 3 times the cost for an OEM part, just because it's one of several left in the country. It's way too frustrating to deal with not to plan for and I don't see a new cr250r coming anytime soon....

I'm going through this with my still brand new 89' CR250. They should NEVER discontinue parts, just stop manufacturing them maybe, but still have them all available on a made to order basis. 92' you will still be able to get most if not all parts for, they will start to discontinue them next year or the year after probably.

The problem is, if your favorite manufacturer followed this policy they would be bankrupt. Nobody has deep enough pockets to carry all the parts for all the machines they ever produced. Not to mention keeping factories tooled for parts that somebody might, maybe, possibly need one day.... if it was your money would you do it? Do you have enough money to keep multiple spares of every part of every machine you own?

I'm in the middle of a 94 KX250 build and got bitten by the "discontinued" part. The main parts that are hard to find, for me, were original plastics/graphics. since most of the bikes get BNG every year they can be tough to locate OEM. Aftermarket no prob. The only mechanical part, again for me, is the powervalve.

Alot of parts were used or can be used on other years, so there will be parts available for a looooong time. Just that "one year only" stuff can be tricky. I've been looking for an OEM seat for 3+ years. NOS stuff pops up on Ebay all over the world, so don't limit yourself to the US Ebay only.

the other thing to keep in mind is, the 90's bikes are the next fad. I've seen a bunch of 70's, 80's MX bike sites, restorers, aftermarket parts but not for the 90's bikes yet. In a couple years you'll see them pop up.

Edited by Jeekinz

Rich is right, a manufacturer will go where the money is. If making parts for the new bikes is more profitable than for a few old bikes, that is what they are going to do. It is sad, but a reality we have to accept.

Might be a good excuse to waltz into your local Yamaha or KTM dealer, because at least they are still making the good ole 2strokes we love!

... then plop down 3oo bucks to buy all new riding gear to match. :bonk: