Sign in to follow this  

TurnTech Battery explodes. RIP

Okay well it didn't explode, but it sizzled and shot out a ton of smoke.

For the past couple of months the battery had a really hard time turning the engine over. The battery would have to get fairly warm before it had enough push to get the engine fired up so I would be there smashing the button for a few minutes on cold starts. Well today I went to the garage and tried to start up the bike. It clicked and then nothing. Over and over. Then I heard loud sizzling and the bike went up in a cloud of smoke. I took out the poor battery as fast as I could but it was melted :smirk:

Well, it lived a good life. I think it almost made it to 3 years old! That beats the stock lead acid which lasted a couple months for me :bonk:

I'll be back to lead acid though and I'll have a battery box again since I'm too broke for another TurnTech :lol:

gabe,

Looks like that one cross-refs properly, no? (for CRF230).

Just for fun, you might see if theTT Store can beat the price (inclu free shipping?).

All The Best and let us know how it works out!

Edited by BSAVictor

I guess saving some 4 lbs over the Yuasa YTZ7S is nuthin to sneeze at, but it looks like the shorai costs at least twice what the Tru Gel does---the poster said he's lookin at a budget. As I remember the Tru Gel felt like about same wt as stock one, but not sure whether the same wt savings applies vs the Tru Gel.

Edited by BSAVictor