Sign in to follow this  

Registering an out of state bike in CA that previously was not registered.

I recently bought a bike from a guy here in CA. The bike was a basket case and needed lots of repairs. The seller informed me that he bought it in Texas. Texas does not require any registration but they do have a title that is issued to the original owner. So any subsequent owners of the bike would not have tranferred any paperwork at there DMV. Fast forward it is sold to a guy in CA and he brings it back and does not register it here and just rides it on a track. Next owner, me, I purchase it and make some repairs and go to register it. CA DMV says they need a title or a registration paperwork. I have none of this. I did check in Texas and CA if the bike was stolen before the purchase. The bike was not stolen. Today I called Texas DMV and tell them the VIN number. They say I have to request a title from the original owner and there is a lein holder on the bike also. My concern is if this is true then in theory they could try and reclaim the bike even if they legitimatly sold it once. What do you think I should do? Have you had similar experiences? I thought I was in the clear when I checked for theft before the purchase. I thought the only problem I would have is maybe some fees to get it up to date. Thanks for any info.

Edited by condor74

you dont need the texas title just a bill of sale.

To register an OHV that has never been registered and was purchased from someone other than a licensed California dealer, you will need to:

Edited by skich69

I will wait a bit and go back to the DMV. I live in a small town and the DMV has pretty personalized service. They pretty much told me what you told me except they need the bill of sale to be from the last registered owner in Texas and with that I have to contact the Texas DMV. If I go in and change my storry to I dont know where the bike was originally sold and just apply for a new title, that may work.

So, there is a lien holder on the bike, meaning, some one along the lines of ownership did not make their payments? If that is the case, you may be in for some heart break. If someone isn't paying or never payed for the bike, the lien holder may want it back to recoup their loss.

^^ +2. Once you get a title from CA, the VIN is 'alive' in the system and it is possible the lien holder (actually a repo man) will come after the bike. You do not have 'clear title' to the bike. Now you know why the Texas title is missing.

Either someone did not make a payment or someone did not send in the form to have the lein taken off of it. I own a car that I bought from a private party 20 year ago. When i paid the car off he gave me the paperwork to send in to have the lein taken off of it. I was 18 and was more conserned with chasing girls and never planned on selling the car so I never sent in the paper work. I still have the car and I imagine it still has the lein.

What I may do is try and contact the lein holder to find out the status on the lein and go from there before I actually try and title it.

If there is a lien then the lien-holder is technically the owner of the bike if they show there is still money owed. If the bike is an older basket case I highly doubt they will lay stake to it. It would not be financially prudent for them to try and come get the bike when it is most likely worthless (to them). That being said you may have to deal with that somewhere down the road before you can obtain a clean title and sticker here in CA. Getting action from the original owner is highly unlikely. Getting the title holder to release the lien paperwork is not going to be easy. If you only ride tracks I wouldn't bother with any of it. If you need a sticker to ride OHV legally then I hope and wish the path of least resistance unfurls itself before your eyes!

Good luck!!

About a year ago, a Cali TTer, who just happened to be a cop, bought a basket case. Put a lot of time and money to get it real nice. The lien holder came after the bike. He kept most of his new parts (great only if he buys another bike needing those exact parts).

Remember what Jeff Spicolli said. "No title, no sale, no dice."

Most of the places I ride are not patroled by rangers. This weekend we are heading out to the desert near Ridgecrest. I know some areas are pratrolled out there and others are not. Riding in the open Desert near my parents house, you are not likely to see any rangers. If we go out to Wagon Wheel or Jawbone, rangers will likely be there.

I may just have to stay out of designated OHV areas until we get this resolved.