Sign in to follow this  

Oregon 2012 Flyer "Pilot Rock OHV / The Bike Pit" Dinner and Race

This is the annual fund raiser and race that generates the funds to keep this park open for free public use round year. The track is closed one week prior to each race for work.

http://photobucket-42376-1329462287117.jpg

the web site is http://www.thebikepit.org/. We have had a little trouble keeping our web site up to date. We are a non profit built by and ran by all volunteers. Since we keep the track open free to the public year round i guese we didnt have enough play money to keep our web designer motivated. But we are working on that and hope to find some one soon who is willing and capable of helping us. As of now we are trying to field questions and get info out through our face book (Pilot Rock Ohv). We have a few great people that work hard and will do what ever we can but some things we just don't know how so sorry about the web sight. If you know some one that would like to help send them to us we can use all the help we can get to keep this going.

Edited by trailntrack319

We will be only serving three hundred dinners this year so if you plan on eating you may want to pre buy the dinner ticket. Man these guys can cook you dont want to miss it. Oh ya and the long term weather for cast looks like march 11 is going to be a good day to race. keep your fingers crossed.

hows the track looking these days? i might drive out that way sunday to have a look. my schedule is so messed up these days working in washington without coming home very much or i would help out some.

The layout is about the same. We are working on putting a deal together in the next few months to acquire about 500,000 yard of material for the track surface that should allow us to make some serious changes and up grades. Arron Hadden came in friday to start cleaning up with his dozer but there is lots left to do. We are supposed to have a work party today but last i heard they were having some equipment issues. Something about a starter in a bobcat. Sure i will find out more later. The weather is looking great for the races we could use a little rain though duriing the week though. we are limitting the dinner to 300 so you might want to buy presale if you want to eat at the party.

I'll be racing my Rm 85 out here, whos all gonna be out there!? would love to see you all there (: Can't wait tell the race and party, heared its gonna be nice and sunny & warm. #19 :bonk:

I hope that's a typo considering a standard supercross track requires about 3500 yards. Otherwise, you may need to find a new engineer.

For Perspective, 10 years ago, diesel was about $1.60 a gallon for red, we moved 100,000 yards of beach sand with cat haul trucks, for $1 million.in 98 we put 2000 yards in the memorial colisium, and hauled it back out for $21000. Personally, i would haul no dirt, use whats there (it can be done), borrow your buddys dozer for 2 days, and let me have it. Jst sayin, haha

We fully understand the cost of moving material. And no that is not a typo. Two 30 foot wide one mile long tracks burns alot of material. We are working to put a deal together with a local mill that may be trying to move the material. Since they have to move it we wont be paying that cost. Some times they haul material much further to despose of it. If you would have seen the track 7 years ago you would know you cant always use what is there. And we understand the cost of fuel we used a d9 to build the double level graveled parking lots and that baby can drink. Couple that with 988 and few belly dumps you can burn through some donations real quick. Chec out the beginning of this video and notice all the rocks. If you picked up a rock there is just another one under it.

25000 loads is a huge expense. But if D.E.Q forces the mill to move it that is what they have to do and absorbe it as business cost. Since we are just a mile up the road than we are their logical choice. The 30 plus acres the track sits on was also mill land that was used as a settiment pond then abandoned and turned back over to the city. DEQ made them strip all of the top soil and settiment and put in a containment pile. That left nothing but rocky soil and property that was almost usless. Now after 7 years working and building a city moto coss park the city is prepared to sale us the land for $1 as soon as we complete our 501c3. It has been a lot of work to put this together but the pieces may finally be ready to fall in place. We have already recived a grant from the state to put together a master plan and that has been finished. Once the land is deeded to us then we can apply for grants that will use the land as a match that with the records of donated time and equipment up to this point should make for a hefty match. I realy hope we are able to finish puting this together as i know a lot of people with no other area to ride use this area to ride with their family. I have seen many kids get an opportunity to enjoy the sport that we all love that would not have if it wasn't for the work of a few dedicated people.

long week for sure. numbers were off a bit from last year at the fundraiser. not sure why. The race numbers were off also from last year but im sure that had something to do with the 55 mph wind and rain we had blow in around 4:00am. I saw a lot of riders that left after camping the night before and spoke with quit a few that just didn't show at all because of the weather reports. We even had a few show up at signup and tell us they would pay their entery fee to support the track but that they weren't going to stay and race becuase of the weather. It was to bad realy because by race time it mellowed out and turned into a pretty resonable day. The rain made the track perfect and all we heard was how nice it was. No dust good traction and the people who tuffed it out had a blast. We have another race schedualed for october 14 and november 18 so hopefully the word will get out that the track was nice and the weather will maybe be a little nicer.

Oh ya i forgot to mention my favorite part. One of the parents of a 4year old little girl that won her 1-5 quad class came up and told me monday that her daughter still wont put her trophy down she even snuck it in the shower that night. By the time i heard that i was plum wore out from 2 weeks of preporations and getting kinda burned out on the whole thing but that snapped me right out of it and reminded me why and what this is about. I lost a lot of time with my own family those weeks but i know we gave others a chance to expierance something so cool.

I'm sort of confused. Does the mill down the road need to remove soil as per DEQ? If they need to relocate the soil how is ok to move to a public area such as the Mx park?

sorry it took so long to respond ive been swamped. DEQ is making them move it because of were it is located not because it is contaminated. It is stock piled rite in town to close to the creek and sometimes even catches on fire because of how deep it is piled. The conataminated soil that was on our site has already been removed leaving pour soil for track building.

ummmm the stuff catches fire??? &%$#@!???? Better get a few soil samples and have then tested before any of it gets dumped on the property you are looking to build a track on... If it is catching fire, then it soulds like it is full of organics....this is something you DO NOT WANT!!!!

I see it is a lumber mill....and they dont use hog fuel as their boiler has been switched to Natural Gas.

So is this "fill" just a bunch of sawdust and hog fuel??? I find it hard to believe they would just give this away....there is a very lucrative market for Bio-Fuels right now.

This does not add up....I strongly recommend you CYA and get this stuff tested...something stinks...

Edited by cdaledh