Sign in to follow this  

Question about upgrading my 94 yz250

I freaking love my 94 yz250. Literally everything on it is new, top & bottom end, suspension, new seat/plastics, etc. And over the last year or so, I went from doing desert riding trips with it, to now just the track. The track is much more fun for me and I've been able to quickly increase my riding skills there. This particular track has lots of pretty big table tops, decent whoops, and some small to medium sized doubles, and step downs. Im no expert but as far as I know, the bike handles and feels great. The thing is, as of now, I wanna get even better and at some point perhaps get good enough to ride one of their more advanced tracks at this place I go to. Question.....is this bike technically too "dated" for this kinda stuff and do I need to look into any of the 2000+ models, or is it still just as suitable?

And on a separate issue, me and a friend have a chance to rebuild the top and bottom on an 82 yz250. Would it be a waste of our time seeings we're not really into collecting? And would this bike (fully rebuilt of course) actually be fun to ride?

Billy

sounds like a nice bike. I rode my friends 1993 yz250 and It wasn't that much different than my 2001. My bike is lighter tho but I honestly think his is faster than mine and it still needs to get a new top end because it has not much compression

Love my 91 250, and i keep up with newer stuff. Then again maybe we all just suck..... Either way, if you arent paying for the old bike it might be good practice seein something different

Yeah it's very fast! Great bike for sure

I guess when I look at all the "newer" bikes at the track i sometimes wonder if since the tracks themselves seem to get more and more advanced in trying to keep up with Supercross and the Outdoor series, if the updated suspensions and slightly lighter frames are more of the manufacturers saying, "hey if ya wanna keep riding the track, you'll eventually need to get the 2012" lol. BTW, I've been eyeing that bike too and man it looks bad ass and feels slightly lighter than mine! Then again, the last thing I wanna do is go into debt. Unless a killer deal happens to come my way Im gonna stick with this bike, and probably just keep riding it forever.

Getting the suspension set up for your weight and riding style is probably the best upgrade you can do to any bike. I have read here on TT and a few other places that replacing the stock carb with a non-electronic Kehein "PWK" Airstryker makes jetting a bit easier and adds some snap, though I haven't done the swap on my 97 WR (same motor, frame and suspension as your YZ but with a wide ration trans and lighting coil). All I've done motor-wise to mine is a V-Force reed, PC pipe (stocker was crushed when I bout the bike), and an FMF Turbine Core Silencer S/A. The power is great. You are absoletely right about the manufacturers...buy our new stuff to be cometative. If you're racing at the expert or pro levels, that's certainly true, but for us mere mortals, as you push the limits of one area of your bike's capabilities, you can selectively mod or upgrade to extends.

The only issue becomes finding parts. So far, hard parts and perfrmacne parts for the 90's YZs are plentiful, but plastics and graphics are getting a bit harder to find. Acerbis and Polysport still crank the plastics out. At one time, I had an 81 RM465. Had the best rear suspension of any bike ever built, even by today's standards, and there's nothing quite liek the power of a big bore 2 stroke. I finally had to get rid of it though, when I couldn't find hard parts any more. Looked on e-bay and had dealers thrughout so cal looking for a 465 or 500 piston for months before I found one...