Sign in to follow this  

Pro - X valve shims

I have to reshim every valve, I realized today. Looking to not spend 50 dollars on 5 individual OEM shims, and dont want to spend the 80 for a shim kit. Found 'Pro - x' shims for $2 a piece........should I be worried? Thats incredibly cheap. Have you ever heard of this company before? Found this product through rocky mountain MC. Called Pro X

Is a shim a shim a shim??? OR...... (?)

Edited by jbowles3

ive heard of them before but never used them, i just got the hot rod shim kit from amazon for $68 and free shipping. comes with two cases and 3 shims of every size. then you dont have to guess what shim size you need and if your doin them all its probably be worth it, especially because there probably gonna tighten up again. heres a link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJWTM6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3TGC5XRRCX4P2

note: 7.48 is for 250's, 9.48 is for 450's

I just got in 4 or 5 ProX shims from RockyMountain. I haven't ran the engine yet, b/c I'm in the middle of a full rebuild. I can't imagine they could be that bad.

Also, you can buy them in 0.025mm increments. Unlike the yamaha OEM's in 0.050 increments.

For the price you can't loose. I'll check the valves in a few hours after the rebuild anyway and be able to catch any issues then, if any.

I still like the idea of 141 shims for 68$ versus 5 shims for 10$

0.05 / 0.025 cmon.. how precise really, do ya wanna go!? Yamaha tolerances are 0.05 apart, so when your shim needs doing, it goes from bottom of tolerance to top.. Don't need a halfway house with it ?

I think they are a Swedish company who get their stuff made in Japan. They are linked with Kawa and JE.....can't be too far off the mark.

So your valve seats only wear in 0.05mm intervals? Lol.

I think youre getting confussed by the idea of a tolerance. If the difference between top and bottom tolerance is 0.05, and the shims are 0.05 then you can always shim to within tolerance..

If you have tolerance 0.15 to 0.20

And your valves are 0.2 0.2 0.2

And after 6 months they are 0.1 0.12 0.17

It means you need only 2 shims: one 0.1 smaller for the first valve, one 0.05 smaller for the second valve, you don't need to touch the third valve

All doable with 0.05 shims..

I think youre getting confussed by the idea of a tolerance. If the difference between top and bottom tolerance is 0.05, and the shims are 0.05 then you can always shim to within tolerance..

If you have tolerance 0.15 to 0.20

And your valves are 0.2 0.2 0.2

And after 6 months they are 0.1 0.12 0.17

It means you need only 2 shims: one 0.1 smaller for the first valve, one 0.05 smaller for the second valve, you don't need to touch the third valve

All doable with 0.05 shims..

This is true but sometimes its nice to get it a little closer inside the tolerance then right on the line of the tolerance. As for the Pro-X shims I use them in all my 4 stroke bikes and they work just as well as OEM.