Sign in to follow this  

How do you prevent blisters on your hands from riding?

I seam to get blisters on my palms at the base of my fingers a lot especially after riding for 2 to 3 hours. I do not work physically for a profession so I don't have them worked up. I tried to use antiperspirant to keep my hands dry while riding per someone’s suggestions but that doesn't seam to do it for me. I tried to use tighter glove to cut down on the sliding inside the glove but that only seams to slow blood circulation leading to arm pump. Someone once suggested band aids around the blister areas but that seams bulky and fells awkward like they will move and make thing worse. I haven't tried baby powder yet but when I think about trying it, I can't help buy remember that I use baby powder to keep my inner tube from staying in one place when changing a tire. What do you guys do? I guess seat time could help too but it takes me a few days to get over it and then it just happens again, over and over.

I've been using Risk Racing palm protectors and thy are keeping me from getting blisters. They are a thin neoprene "palm glove" that goes under the motocross glove and can't be noticed when riding.

Ride more, and I cry like a bi+ch till clauses build up.

Edited by crazy_dave

I've been using Risk Racing palm protectors and thy are keeping me from getting blisters. They are a thin neoprene "palm glove" that goes under the motocross glove and can't be noticed when riding.

Gonna try these. Never heard of them you tha man. My hands look like ground beef after an 80+ mile hare and hound. Gets so bad the last 30 miles or so I can barely hang on and have to ride at 50%.

Callouses dont help. If anything it makes them worse..I have pretty big ones and they just tear open at the edges and rip up and end up a huge hole.

lol first time i have ever heard anyone complain about blisters,

Why don't i complain about getting blister from playing guitar, because they are battle marks,

BE PROUD OF YOUR BLISTERS FROM RIDING.

lol first time i have ever heard anyone complain about blisters,

Why don't i complain about getting blister from playing guitar, because they are battle marks,

BE PROUD OF YOUR BLISTERS FROM RIDING.

Dude your just that tough, that's why. Or you've never ridden enough to complain about blisters. Calluses can only get so big before you get blisters. Someone who rides, would know. :smirk:

• Like 1

ride more, some people use anti perspirant on their hands, personally I never get blisters, my hands dont seem to sweat that much

Not the worst idea, if you have blister problems that bad is. Get two or three pairs of gloves, bring them with you when you ride, switch every so often? i remeber soaking by bmx bike gloves, in the sink, the water went pure brown.

FIY. I've had nasty flippin bad blisters from biking. Not only dirtbiking, but Mountain, and bmx. I rip my blisters off when they get bad, Let the hands make new ones i say. Keep your grips and gloves clean.

I work with my hands and they are callused up pretty good. I can ride with or without gloves without any issues. I still wear gloves because of thorns and tree branches. A good way to toughen your hands and work out is to lift, push, move cinder blocks without gloves. Calluses will form and help prevent blisters.

i get blisters that put me out of riding till they heal, that is no fun and yeah people say you have to wait for your hands to calluse but even after that i get blisters still. I wonder if doing the opposite keeping your palms in nice soft condition will help? its bad when you can ride cause your hands are blistered. not only that when they open up its risk of infection, and after my dad got mersa it is something i do not want to deal with. You have to go everyday to get drugs from an iv feed into you to kill the infection and the drug makes you feel like shit to.... We believe my dad got mersa from the blisters that where on his foot, (where the infection entered) yeah, just keep theme clean when you get theme. I dont mean to scare any one but if they are bad enough you know keep theme clean, dry neosporin.... dont neglect theme. And yes you can die from mersa if you do not get medical attention

I used to get blisters really bad too. I tried taping which was time consuming and it always seemed like the tape would ball up and cause worse problems.

For me, glove liners where the cure for blisters. They take a little time to get used to, but once you get used to them, you will be good to go!

I have know a few riders that cut their gloves to eliminate the palm padding as they feel that it bunches up and causes blisters.

Hope this helps!

Jason

• Like 1

Where do you get those?

can you notice theme?

I am not really sure what you are saying?

I fond them and ordered a couple. While I was there I bought a seal doctor for cleaning out fork seals. I have used the seal savers from Tust and have plenty on hand buit the Risk model seals more durable and way easier to use. Thanks for the info.

First I keep my hands from becoming humid from swet, mud and rain by using vaseline or lip balsem. One stroke every hour is good. I ride sometimes for 10-12 hours in a row at race speeds, only stopping for gas and water. No blisters. I do office work.

Secondly, to keep my hands dry during heavy rains I used the plastic hand shoes which are given away free at gas stations for tanking diesel. They come in one size fits all and they have very small holes holes in them, allowing my skin to breath.

This is a low tech solution but keep my hands dry in extremely cold and hot humid environments.