Sign in to follow this  

KTM 250 SX-F for vertically challenged

Hi all,

I'm a novice 50 year old 5' 5" rider.

Last year I purchased a 2011 KX250F (great bike) and installed a Kouba Link and shaved seat which allowed me to reach tip toe on both sides while sitting on the seat. This offered me a bit of confidence out on the mx track and allowed me to get back up after a fall and get going again relatively easily.

My son will be inheriting the KX and I have been looking at the KTMs as a replacement. The 2012 SX-F is particularly inviting because of the electric start. I really don't see an additional seven pounds or so making much of a difference for me but the electric start will sure be welcome after a fall.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone of shorter stature such as myself has any comment regarding the suitability of the KTM for a short guy. According to manufacturer specifications the seat height is almost 2 inches higher than that KX. I know I can go the route of the Kouba link and shaved seat again but am wondering if it will be enough. Also, I would be interested in comments from any novice older riders regarding their experiences with the SX-F. I've read all the hype on the shoot-outs etc. which has me wondering but at the same time, I'm not pro so am not really convinced that the fifth placefinishes in the magazines really mean much to a 50 year old newbie like myself.

I just want to make sure I am headed in the right direction...

Thanks,

Barry

Edited by tripod1

I am also looking hard a getting a 12 250 SX-F currently ride a 09 KX250F and love that bike. But i look at the Elec. Start and the quality of build and handling the ktm has over most other bikes i would perfer the KTM plus the options of KTM accessories avial to ktm is nice. the only other bike i would think about is yami but there 250 is not fuel injected. and the weight of the start and battery can be off set a little with a lighter batter from like turn tech. and if you get suspension you can get Ti springs and lighter wheels exc.

Also KTM backs there product more then the rest of the group.

Just my 2 cents