Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Looking for Coloradans to trail ride with

Just got a 2009 CRF450X. The last time I rode I was a teenager on a YZ125 in California. I don't know anyone who rides out here in Colorado so I'm looking for people to go trail riding with. I can promise lulz because it's been so long I'm sure I'll fall in a multitude of silly ways. I live in Parker, near Denver. If anyone is interested I'm happy to send you my # in a PM.

Thanks.

Hey I am basically in the the same situation. Looking for people out here to ride with. Just moved to Castle Rock from Nevada, where I rode quite a bit and raced a few MRAN Hare Scramble races. I ride an 02 YZ426. Would love to ride with you and anybody else, just have no idea where to go. Was thinking about riding on Sunday.

Let me know.

I would be willing to bet money I fall before we even get 10 feet from the truck.

That's over by Grand Junction right? I'd like to go over there but it's a long drive. Can you camp out there? Might take a couple days off and go camp out.

If your going to be in RV for that long you should look into connecting RV to Westwater. I've heard it can be done but I have never done it.

mrkab & tjt198....part of the issue you will encounter right now is very little is open due to snow. Unless you want to try some of the drier parts of the state (Rabbit Valley), parts of Utah, etc, you will just need to be patient and wait for the snow to melt. Most mountain riding doesnt get going until May or later. The high mountains can be clogged with snow into July depending on where you want to ride, the elevation, and the level of snowpack from the prior winter (so far the snowpack is quite a bit below average and way less than last year - but can vary by region).

While you will get lots of opinions about Rampart Range and 717, those are close to Castle Rock and will likely be some of the first places you can ride once the snow melts.

Google Rampart Range and go to the Rampart Range Motorcycle Committee webpage to check it out. 717 Riding area is south and west of Rampart Range and North of Divide and has very similar trails, trail conditions, etc. Since they are close to Denver and Colorado Springs, they tend to be more crowded. A number of members in this section of TT are actively involved in trail building/maintenance at Rampart Range.

While you are waiting for better weather, make sure you get your Colorado OHV permit. Here is the link:

http://www.parks.state.co.us/ohvsandsnowmobiles/OHVprogram/OHVregistrations/Pages/OHVRegistrations.aspx

OHV permits are April 1 through March 31st of the following year. Permits are $25.25 each year. You must have these to ride in National Forests and BLM land. If you want to ride some county roads and some paved roads (and even certain high use forest service roads) to connect from trail to trail, you might look at converting your off-road motorcycles to on-road motorcycles so you can get a license plate (not required for trail riding but in some situations can prove useful).

I am always down to ride some trails! i have an 08 yz450, with all the front range snow it may be a couple months before any CO trails are open, we just got back from moab, and rabbit valley is awesome this time of year. may have a little snow but just adds to the excitement! just make sure to wash junction mud off as soon as possible! that stuff get thick!

I have the OHV permit. I understand a lot of the mountain trails have snow right now but surely there's other places on the front range like the OHV area in Pawnee or the area near Pueblo, I guess those aren't really "trails" though.

I did hit Pueblo yesterday, fell down hard like the bozo I am and busted up my brand new awesome helmet, not to mention scratching up all my plastic =/

At least Leardriver got my front forks feeling nice and plush, thanks Leardriver!

I also am always looking for riding buddies during the summer. I have a 3 rail trailer with a small car to pull it with so I'm usually giving people gas $$, but my KTM and I are always happy to head somewhere. Send me a PM and I'm happy to give you my contact info. Also I'd suggest joining the ColoradoDirtRiders Meetup Group. They're super friendly and I think they'd be a great resource for you. Sarah runs it. Great girl!

Mr. Kab and tjt198,

When Rampart's snow is mostly gone I will start a thread for a ride I'll host for area-newbies to discover Rampart. Living in Parker or Castle Rock, it is probably the most convenient place to trail ride and I'd argue it can be the most fun you can have riding an hour from home.

tjt198,

I think I know of you...I live in Denver by my parents live in Castle Rock and I visit them all the time and use it as "last chance" waypoint for my excursions into the Rampart Range area. Someone recently moved two houses down from them. Maybe that's you? Red Hawk neighborhood, Marsh Hawk Circle? I think it must have been you because I saw you riding your YZ around the neighborhood before you and friend loaded your bikes into your Nissan Titan truck (Nevada plates)...? Where'd you go riding, a track? I will have to introduce myself next time I am around and I see you out. I am normally driving my white '91 Dodge Cummins flatbed truck.

P.S. Castle Rock law enforcement can be vigilant. I and most of the people in the neighborhood don't care if you're riding your unlicensed vehicle on the street...but the cops WILL give you a ticket if they happen to be driving by and see you.

RampartStalker,

That is too funny, yes I am your parent's neighbor. This is awesome. Yes, please come by and introduce yourself. I am always looking for people to ride with. Will definitely take you up on your Rampart Ridge tour offer. I have been doing a lot of online research and from what I found it seems to be one of the better riding areas around here. Very cool that it is so close to home.

When you saw us loading up we were heading down to PMI, but then got side tracked by a bike I was interested in that was located in Colorado Springs--I bought it. My 6 year old was really looking forward to going riding that day. He was a little pissed at me that we did not make it. We went and looked at Rampart Range on sunday morning and the parking area was covered in snow and there were closed signs up.

I promised my son that we would ride this weekend, he has a birthday party saturday, so will probably ride on Sunday. Will probably head down to PMI as from what I have read online is the closest place to ride right now. Anyone have any other suggestions? Being as that my son will be with me and a buddy that has not riden in years--will probably be a slow paced ride. If anyone wants to join us let me know.

Will be trying out my new woods weapon--at least new to me. Picked up a KTM 250 XCW. Anyone have any suggestions for plating it? All the research I have done made it sound like the big four strole might be a bit much for most of the riding areas around here.

tjt198,

I was planning on going down to PMI this weekend. If you want some company send me a PM or give me a call, I think I sent you my information a week or so ago.

tjt198 regarding plating the bike, if the bike was sold with a title, go to the Douglas County Clerk's office and title in your name and buy a new plate (they may ask if it complies with the requirements but they don't inspect it at the country clerk - so you will need to ensure it complies in case you ever get stopped by law enforcement). If you got a title signed over to you by the previous owner of the bike, go get a new title issued in your name even if you dont intend to plate and ride on the street for now*.

If the bike is not currently titled (which is the usual situation) you will need to convert from an off-road bike to an on-road (or plated) bike if you want to ride on highways, city roads or county roads (or even the main Rampart Range road). I just did this process for 3 of my bikes between Dec 1 and January 31st (2010 Husaberg FE450, 2006 KDX200, 2005 WR450F).

Here is what you need to do for conversion and obtaining a license plate:

• Bill of Sale with penalty of perjury clause indicating it is sold as an off-road bike OR a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO or MSO) indicating it is an off-road bike. If you dont have the MSO...you need to get the specific penalty of perjury wording to include on the Bill of Sale (you can get this from the County Clerk or you can PM me and I will look it up on my bill of sale). Yes...I know this might be difficult to get a revised bill of sale from the seller since the transaction has already been completed and the previous owner has your money. Some people just write on the bill of sale "sold as off-road use only" and can get it by the county clerk. I think we all know that the KTM 250 XCW was built as an off-road bike....but the clerks have no idea and some will go by the exact rules.
  • Headlight
  • Taillight
  • Brake Light (only requires one brake lever to actuate the light - i.e. rear or front brake is sufficient)
  • DOT Tires (needs to say DOT on side of tires)
  • Horn (not a bulb horn but a real one...can be battery powered)
  • Mirror
  • Rear reflector (this can be accomplished if the rear taillight has built in reflector or just add reflector to license plate mounting area.
  • Adequate muffler

Once you believe the motorcycle is in compliance, you will need to call and schedule an appt at the Colorado State Patrol Office right there in Castle Rock to get it inspected. I believe they do on Tues and Weds of each week (weather permitting). Will cost $20 for the inspection (cash or check only). Bring the forms that the CSP inspector will need to complete. You will need to provide form DR2686 (Certificate of Equipment Compliance - 2 pages) to the CSP inspector. He/she will complete those forms and also complete form DR2704 (Colorado Certified VIN Inspection). My inspector was straight forward and reasonable. He checked VIN, engine number, indicator for DOT tires. Seemed to visually look at headlight, tail light and brake switch trigger. Never required me to start bikes to show lights and horns worked or to demonstrate mufflers were adequate but you should be ready to do so.

Here is a link to the form DR2686

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Page&cid=1212052609911&pagename=Revenue-MV%2FRMVLayout

Once you have the completed paperwork from the inspection, go to the Douglas County Clerk office and present the Bill of Sale and MSO, verification of insurance coverage, completed forms DR2686 and DR2704 (whatever the CSP trooper provides to you after the inspection) and get ready to pay your fees. In addition to the fees for licensing the vehicle for one year, they will also collect sales tax from you for the amount spent on the purchase. Colorado is pricey for licensing a vehicle (at least compared to what I have heard about for other states).

I estimated that my cost for bringing the equipment into compliance, the insurance (one year $95), sales tax and licensing fees (1 year) was about $400-$500 in total for each bike to get plated.

Once you have that plate...for you it will work out just great to get to Rampart Range (not Ridge). West on Wolfensberger Rd to Colo Hwy 105. South on 105 about 2 miles. Right or West on Jackson Creek Road and it will bring you right into the middle of Rampart Range. In the past, I have found that you can sort of 'sneak' into Rampart Range early by going this way since there is a parking area with a connecting trail (#788 I believe) that is prior to the gate closure across the road. Of course, the trail may be loaded with snow/ice if you go too early especially since it is a northern exposure.

Have fun.

* Please also note that once plated, you will need to renew your registration each year on time or when you buy a plated bike from somebody else. If you are late renewing, you will be charged $25 late fee per month up to maximum of $100. If you later decide you don't want to plate for a year or two or three since you won't be riding the street, you will still need to pay the personal property tax each year so that you can avoid the $100 late fee if and when you want to get a current plate to ride the street (thank you Colorado state legislature who apparently thinks it's citizens are cash cows that can be milked for merely owning motorcycles even if you dont ride on the streets for several years). You will need to go through the mental calculus of whether it is cheaper to pay the personal prop tax each year you dont ride on the street vs. paying the $100 late fee when you do decide you want to get current plates. I believe the personal prop tax portion of annual licensing cost is a very small.

I will definitely introduce myself next time I see you around, TJT198. I have a '05 WR450f and a KLR650, by the way. You'll definitely want a plate for anything you plan on riding up Rampart regardless of whether or not your haul/trailer up there or, as I have done with my KLR and WR, ride from Castle Rock. It's only 20 miles to dirt from Red Hawk, about 25 minutes. Your ride needs to be plated to get to all that Rampart (and Colorado) has to offer, but its still worth riding there without a plate if you must.

If you wanted to ride right now I'd suggest you go to what is called the Rainbow Falls OHV area near Woodland Park. You take I-25 to HWY 24 (Colorado Springs) to HWY 67 to get there, 1.5 hour drive. This area is essentially the southern end of Rampart Range. It would have the least amount of snow of the entire close-by Front Range riding areas because most of its hills are on an overall slope facing south towards Pike's Peak. When the riding season is here we will be able to enter Rampart from closer to Castle Rock via Jackson's Creek Road, Dakan Road, and HWY 67 (north end, where you visited), but until then most of that area is snow covered because of the Northern-facing overall slope and more dense tree cover. Right now Rainbow Falls is your best bet for hitting trails nearby without snow. Even then, expect snow there. But if you and your son are itching to ride it may be worth your efforts. Keep in mind that all of the Rampart area from the parking lot on the north end of HWY 67 to the Rainbow Falls on the south end of 67 is all open to OHV vehicles under 48" wide YEAR-ROUND. But it can get covered in feet of snow and better suited for a snowmobile at times...its your call, though. I've ridden in a few inches of snow, and I personally do not enjoy it much. Given the hilly nature of the terrain, snow usually means falling...much more often than I normally would!

I would love to start/join a bike/trail adventure group with people in the area. go camping, ride, wrench with and just generally hang out with if any one is interested... This seamed like the best place to start being that some one already open up a topic? do you guys ride regularly?

We haven't really had a chance. tjt and I went to PMI, it was OK, not really what I would call trails. Seems like most people are waiting for the snow to clear in places like Rampart.

Thinking about trying to meet redhurricane near Grand Junction the last week of March.

If your going to be in RV for that long you should look into connecting RV to Westwater. I've heard it can be done but I have never done it.

If you drop to the far south-west end of Rabbit Valley there is a trail on the bluff above the river that heads west to Westwater. You can loop all the way back up to I70 and then drop down through the main WW trails. We have made it into a bout a 60 mile (figure eight) loop and never ride the same trail twice. Our loop includes most of the tougher single track, and the rim trail coming back through RV. A few of us are headed ver to GJ this Fri/Sat if anyone wants to hook up. I don’t plan on pushing too hard since the cast just came off my wrist. Let me know if you want more details.

CoKTM