Sign in to follow this  

Clarke tank petcock leak

Last week I needed some gas for my lawnmower, so I decided that the easiest and quickest thing to do would be to drain a bit out of my XR650L. I managed to break a one inch piece off of the aging fuel line before removing the line from the petcock, so I bought a new fuel line from the local auto parts store. I also noticed that while I was draining fuel into my gas can, there was a little bit dripping off of the bottom of the petcock. Not thinking more about it, I turned the petcock off and left the bike in my garage for a few hours.

Coming back later there was a small pool of gasoline under my bike, so I rolled it outside. It turned out that there was a leak where the petcock meets the tank. I took the tank off, drained all the rest of the fuel into my gas can, then left the bike like that until I could find time to fix things properly. Besides I've been putting off a bunch of other things like bleeding the brakes, cleaning the air filter, and so on.

So when I finally can work on fixing the petcock, I'm assuming that just taking it off, cleaning things, then putting it all back together should be enough. But if it isn't, can any of you recommend some sort of gasoline-proof gasket cement or sealer that I can use in case it needs more help?

Thanks.

Not really..Hondabond may work..I've used a double rubber grommet situation to fix that sort of thing

before..We have places over here called $2.00 shops. You go in there and buy

a whole case full of different sized grommets that do that sort of job.

If one doesn't do the job along side the original I just use 2 or whatever

combo works..

Edited by Horri

Worse comes to worse with those grommets you can actually

buy lengths of that rubber,,Normally comes in meter lengths

of about 2 different sizes that are about right for float bowl

gaskets and other various grommet type jobs. You cut it to length

and join it together with stuff called Three Bond Super Glue..

Technical name==Cyanoacrylate Adhesive..I've got some lengths of

the rubber ordered from the local bearing shop. Just waiting for it

to turn up. Any good bearing/seal type shop should sell it and possibly

the glue.

Is it leaking where the petcock mates to the tank, or is the petcock itself leaking somewhere? If it's where it mates to the tank you might try replacing the o-ring between the petcock and tank. I had some problems with the petcock itself on mine a couple of years ago and ended up just buying an OEM replacement (it's fairly inexpensive). I tried finding a rebuild kit for the original but had no luck.

I finally had a look at the tank. It turns out that both screws holding the petcock on were loose. Of course it would leak.

The rubber used for the gasket looks less than ideal, although it should get me by for a while. I'll buy some O-rings and use those instead. I'm sure I'll get a better seal and I can keep a few extras with the bike in case anything ever leaks there again.