fly wheel grease? and few questions...

I took my left side cover off to clean old oil from the case and resvior area since I bought the bike used and had old nasty stuff. Also I'm wanting to know what solvent I can use to wipe down the cam shaft as I have taken it off the head to shim the valves.

I have a few questions if someone wiht more knowledge could help

1. Inside the fly wheel there is residue like old grease that is grey and dried out like. Can I just wipe it clean and leave it bare? Or does it need a film of grease or oil? This is where the stator goes inside of the fly wheel.

2. What can I wipe down the cam shaft with to get rid of the old oil residue? Look at pic. brake cleaner Yo ucan see the swipe marks I made on the shaft by the plunger.

3. While shiming what if after you are done and the clearance on the exhaust side form left to right there is a difference of say .07 mm ? Also what if it happens on the intake side the fdifference being something like .03 ?

IMG_0079.jpg

I had the grey gease looking stuff inside my flywheel around my magnito after getting water in my engine oil. I think the flywheel whips the oil/water mixture up like butter and sets up around the magnito........be careful with the brake cleaner, some brands make rubber parts like seals and O rings swell up and not fit any more.

Yes you can leave the flywheel shiny clean. The gray grease like stuff is worrisome though. If it was water in the oil it'd be a chocolate milk shake brown.

If you wanted to clean everything spotless you can. On the cam, when firing a new engine I put a tiny smidgen of grease on the cam lobes so nothing runs dry and scratches.

Regarding the intake valve lash, they dont have to be identical, but they need to be at least .004". Less than that gets makes it tough to get them started sometimes. The spec. is .006" +- .001" so they can be as much as .007" without an issue.

If you had one at .005 and the other at .007 that would be fine. (thats in inches) Im old, I use American values because thats rings correctly in my head.

• 1 month later...

I have this odd coloured greases stuff inside my flywheel too. It's like some sort of really thick grease or paste. There are no metal particles in it though, as it is not shiny when hit with a flash light.

Unless someone put grease in there by mistake, it is old oil mixed with water and/or very fine metal causing it to adhere to the flywheel magnets. Clean it really well and install it. No grease!!

At least thats what it sounds like.

Edited by mrmoto35

Heres a pic of it smeared on my manual, sure doesn't look like there is any metal there.

64f718f1.jpg

Also, this is with the flash on so you would think any metal would shine.

Edited by DrDuke

Mine had a little bit of that too. Have you tried cleaning it yet? It's a bitch to clean. Wants to stick to the flywheel. Thats why I think it has very fine metal "dust" in it. Not shaving. And that is probably normal after a lot of hours.

Mine had a little bit of that too. Have you tried cleaning it yet? It's a bitch to clean. Wants to stick to the flywheel. Thats why I think it has very fine metal "dust" in it. Not shaving. And that is probably normal after a lot of hours.

Correct on all accounts

You can cure this by gluing a neodymium magnet inside the case where oil flows across it. Anything ferrous will stick there instantly.