Sign in to follow this  

Riding In The Snow And Front Spindle Shears

I was out playing in the snow two weeks ago and rode over some fresh powder and the bike lunged down about a meter and stopped from 30mph to 0 mph bucking me off instantly! The crash seemed to be minor considering the speed but on closer inspection the wheel had entered a solid deep rut and twisted the forks and eventually making the spindle shear in half. We managed to make a make shift job to get it off the mountain but i was surprised it happened.

406389_3233540961695_1361805987_3210105_1906688220_n.jpg

IMG-20120205-00276.jpg

IMG-20120205-00275.jpg

Caerphilly-20120205-00289.jpg

Caerphilly-20120205-00287.jpg

I've ordered new parts right away from the dealer but it took about a week to come from Italy to the UK.

So i fitted it tonight and had a head scratching moment;

Basically the old spindle is shorter and has an aluminum collar and the type that was delivered has a longer neck and works with out the collar.

My te450 is a 2008 model and my question is does anybody know if this part was revised at any point??

TheValeofGlamorgan-20120217-003321.jpg

TheValeofGlamorgan-20120217-00334.jpg

TheValeofGlamorgan-20120217-00333.jpg

TheValeofGlamorgan-20120217-00335.jpg

TheValeofGlamorgan-20120217-00336.jpg

This is the new spindle installed

TheValeofGlamorgan-20120217-00337.jpg

There shouldn't be a collar on the axle on that side. That is not factory at all. Something seems strange like someone made that up to get by.

That "collar" is a wheel spacer, it should be on the wheel picture installed with the new axle and no spacer,........because it's on the old axle. Without it you're going to have bigger problems like wheel bearing contamination and incorrect axle torque and, and, and

Hi guys thanks for the replies i took it out for a 100 mile tought ride yesterday and it worked fine. Not sure what the original set up was about but it defeinatly works a treat without the spacer.

This is the new spindle installed

TheValeofGlamorgan-20120217-00337.jpg

This picture shows no wheel spacer, there is a gap between your grease seal and the axle, this is no good from what I'm seeing

This picture shows no wheel spacer, there is a gap between your grease seal and the axle, this is no good from what I'm seeing

Some dude it has been installed with out the wheel spacers as per the diagram above? do you think the diagram is in correct? do you have a picture of yours for referance please?

addot8, If you don't already have them, I suggest you find and download the '08 parts and workshop manuals for you bike. Review the literature and then inspect both axles for proper spacers and installation. That "collar" in your front axle pic looks like one of the two rear wheel spacers that are identical and on each side. You hub looks like a oem hub. If they both are then the manuals will be correct. I would highly suggest replacing all the seals and bearings on the front axel, and the rear to if anything is incorrect. Thank goodness your axel/spindle didn't give way at highway speeds. You got lucky.

Edited by XLEnduroMan

On many wheels the step in the axle IS the spacer. If the axle fits the seal properly, there is no spacer used.

How did you make out? I actually did the same thing to a Dual Sport a couple years ago. 27 Stitches on my thigh... You are Lucky only the bike was hurt...

If you look at the pic it looks like the step in the new axle corresponds with the top of the spacer of the old setup. Maybe it was designed to run without that spacer?

Hi guys an update, i've put on about 200 miles on the new set up and it works a treat. when i replaced the spindel i put new bearings and dust seals but slightly damaged one of the dust seals as i tried fitting the spacer first off but relised after checking the manual it never had one fitted. thanks for the replies as i also posted on Husky cafe and its the gerneral consensus that there shouldn't be a front wheel spacer.

That picture looks just like my 2008 txc. the axle is the spacer on that side .

Edited by dcal