Honestly at a lost on where I should post this.

Its called a tool for a reason. sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make that cake.

I would use the smallest one you have and add some heat on the crank as you apply the separator.

Though a wise man once said if the job is hard, you're using the wrong tool. I would think if it's the proper tool it wouldn't break. ;p

However I do like you analogy of the eggs and cake. Appreciate the insight.

Alright this is getting rediculous.

1. Highspeed cutting tool. Cut old gear off, 5 minutes tops.

2. You most certainly DO heat the NEW gear (making hole bigger) and freeze the crank (making spline area smaller) to install new one. Maybe you didn't read what was posted clearly enough? Reading skills are everything. If you still are wondering how this will go down, I'm afraid your crank is likely a goner. Buy all new parts. Either way do it and get it over with, this isn't even a difficult problem to solve.

Edited by 36MotoMarc

2. You most certainly DO heat the NEW gear (making hole bigger) and freeze the crank (making spline area smaller) to install new one. Maybe you didn't read what was posted clearly enough? Reading skills are everything. If you still are wondering how this will go down, I'm afraid your crank is likely a goner. Buy all new parts. Either way do it and get it over with, this isn't even a difficult problem to solve.

Obviously you're the one with the reading deficiency. If you took the time to look at the schematic, the GEAR isn't pressed ON to anything, it's pressed INTO the splines that the primary gear would slip OVER. Honestly the way you worded it/came off to me was a bit insulting... If you cared to do a bit of research, let's say like looking at this diagram for my year of bike: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/2447-kawasaki-1998-kx500-kx500-e10/assemblies/61841 You would have a better understand of what is going on. So, this isn't getting ridiculous, if I'm going to do something, it will be done right. I would rather spend days collecting informative data and making the best choice I can at a first run, before I go all out ruining my crank or tools. There's nothing wrong with being a cautious mechanic...

The irony!

You need to work on your own reading skills before you give someone else shit for it.

Edited by moose_338

Yep my bad. Going off all that you provided, the pic, which I mis-interpreted, as it seems many of the first responses did. Good luck.

I'll take that as an apology? lol

So I found out "hardened" gears are only hardened like 1/16" into the material, that it's not like tool steel. I'm thinking drill, tap, slide hammer...

Edited by Bodyrot