Stretching it out?

So, I am good rider. I won't say fast cause in MX terms I am only a podium in the novice class. Anyway, I am no slouch.

There is a drangons back triple at one of the local tracks (MMX in Marysville, CA) that is really getting to me. On any given day there are maybe 2 to 5 guys who can get the whole thing. I overclear the dragons hump but can only get my front tire to the edge of the down slope for the triple portion. This means I am flat landing this thing but it isn't a harsh hit cause it is actually slightly higher than the take off for the jump.

I have tried everything to clear this thing short of stretching it out, nose high and brake tapping to land it clean. The jump is right after a long flat left handed sweeper and I have been trying to give it as much as I can but I am riding the edge where slightly more throttle breaks the back end loose. I have made clicker adjustments to try and get more grip so I can give it more but to no avail.

Some of you advanced guys, could you school me up on how to really stretch it out?

Does the flat left hander have any outside berm on it? Have you tried to go in deep, square it off and hit the jump straight-on?

Being a one two five rider, I find myself using that trick more then anything else. "hucking" the bike (which is the skill you are referring to) is an extremely advanced skill, it takes a lot more then skill then it seems. If you freak-out or mess up, you might not be happy with the outcome. Where as if you go wide and hit it straight with all the power you can muster, you should be fine.

Go stand on the side of it, when there are people there that are clearing it, and watch them. Other than that I wouldnt worry about it. When your ready to hit it youll know. Forcing stuff in motocross is usually dangerous. There are some fast guys at marysville, Im guessing the people hitting it probley run the expert class.

Does the flat left hander have any outside berm on it? Have you tried to go in deep, square it off and hit the jump straight-on?

Being a one two five rider, I find myself using that trick more then anything else. "hucking" the bike (which is the skill you are referring to) is an extremely advanced skill, it takes a lot more then skill then it seems. If you freak-out or mess up, you might not be happy with the outcome. Where as if you go wide and hit it straight with all the power you can muster, you should be fine.

There is some berm (not much) on the outside. I was doing this exact thing today and I just can't seem to get enough to clear it.

Go stand on the side of it, when there are people there that are clearing it, and watch them. Other than that I wouldnt worry about it. When your ready to hit it youll know. Forcing stuff in motocross is usually dangerous. There are some fast guys at marysville, Im guessing the people hitting it probley run the expert class.

Right you are sir, on both counts (fast guys there and don't force issues in MX). I'm not one to try and do something if I know it is well beyond my skill. I gave one hell of an attempt today. Lap after lap. The only chance I have on a 250f is being able to carry more corner speed.

Looks like I will let this one go for now and try again down the road when I am a little better.

Thanks guys :bonk:

I recently started riding Mmx. And I want that triple as well. I was there on Tuesday and got my front tire to the end of the flat. The outside was super soft and wasn't very good for carrying speed. Sometimes it's hard to tell but I think most of the guys that get that thing are on 450s. I've followed a guy off of it and it seemed like I was carrying the same speed as him through the corner and when we got to the jump he went BOOM! And was gone!

UPDATE!

I was at MMX again on Saturday since I am determined to make this triple. It was pretty windy so conditions were far from ideal. Only one guy was jumping the triple. I talked to him some and he was a 49 yr old guy on a 2010 RMZ450.

I knew that if I wanted to clear this jump I would have to see if I was even on pace with someone who was clearing it. During one of my motos, I waited for the Zuke to come around and I jumped in behind him about early in a lap so there was still 80% of the track before we got to the triple.

This guy was quick, I had to scratch, claw and dig to keep up. When we got to the sweeper I was about 4-5 bike lengths back. I'll admit, this was not a sustanable pace for me. I could not maintain that pace for another lap without incident, I was riding slightly over my head that lap to keep up. Strangely though, the RMZ would pull in the straights and I would regain some in the corners.

Anyway, on to for the particlar section in question, the sweeper and the triple. Around the sweeper it was a dead even matchup. I maintained the same speed as the Zuke and even could hammer on the throttle at the same postion when exitting. However, the 450 could pull so much more in the 10-12 feet leading up to the triple to clean it and my 250 (and I) could not.

I know I admitted that the pace I was riding that lap was over my head, I still do not feel that this particular obsticle is. With better track conditions, and a little more work and effort, I think I will be clearing this thing soon.

Before the day was through, I did get a pinch flat in my front tire from coming up short on this thing. This caused me to lay it down heading down the subsequent straight. I was lucky enough to ride it to the ground sideways and slide, not letting it highside and throw me.

Stay tuned, I am going to conquer this B!%(#

Don't beat yourself up about a stupid jump that 450's can clear and your 250 can't. It takes a much more skilled rider to ride a 250 at 450 speeds. So look at the guys on 450's who you can keep up with, as being slower riders then you, because if you put them on your bike, they probably would be.

With that being said, how long is this triple? Have you tried using the clutch to generate all the power possible? Have you tried gearing the bike for more torque by putting a bigger rear sprocket on it? You might find those two things help greatly at generating drive to clear such an obstacle.

I am an animal with my clutch, always feathering it to maintain high RPM and plenty of power.

I have not tried changing the sprockets at all. This is something I may look into.

I love what you say about 250 riders vs. 450 riders. I have plenty of friends who are right about my speed but ride 450s and at least two of them are under 5'8" and less than 165lbs. I am 6'1" and 185 and I never even consider switching to a 450. I will jump on other peoples 450s but I feel lazy cause you don't need to carry corner speed to clear things. I rather work for it cause I know it makes me a better rider.

when i was on a 250f i found it was faster to leave it a gear lower for longer and rev it out then try to use the clutch. The power didn't seem like it ever started to fall off, so I kept it high enough in the rpms i rarely had to use the clutch. try to get someone to video you next time, i'd like to see the jump and you clearing it. There are very few jumps, especially on public tracks, that a 450 can clear that a 250f cant.

Edited by Die_trying

The guy on the Kawi triples. I don't...

Well, in that video, you're not on the gas soon enough coming out of the corner. Maybe the track was really dry and you don't have good tires? I mean you didn't start building drive until way after the corner was over. You can easily go in deep on the far right of the corner, square it off and pin it and get at least one gear change in before you hit the triple. Its not that big of a jump and you are pretty darn close already.

Well, in that video, you're not on the gas soon enough coming out of the corner. Maybe the track was really dry and you don't have good tires? I mean you didn't start building drive until way after the corner was over. You can easily go in deep on the far right of the corner, square it off and pin it and get at least one gear change in before you hit the triple. Its not that big of a jump and you are pretty darn close already.

That vid is not of the OP.

I was just trying to show the jump in question I couldn't ind anything on YouTube from an off the bike point of view an I wasn't really going for it that day. There were a few factors that were causing me to take it easy that day. The last time I was really trying to get at it the outside was super soft and almost sandy and any time I tried to rail around it would just eat the bike and bog it down. I know for sure it's my corner speed that's holding me back from getting it. I jus need more seat time to get more comfortable at higher speeds.y suspension probably needs some work too.

Guess I need to pull-the-trigger and get a GoPro.

Looking at that video, my guess is that I am about 5-6 seconds a lap slower than the guy who tripled there. This track is roughly a 1.30ish lap time the way the track is currently laid out.

I make a lot of passes in the corner before the triple just as the guy on the kawi made his pass on the guy with the GoPro. I also have to considerably slow down if all I want to do is double. The difference between doubling and tripling is propably an extra 35 feet.

Guess I need to pull-the-trigger and get a GoPro.

Looking at that video, my guess is that I am about 5-6 seconds a lap slower than the guy who tripled there. This track is roughly a 1.30ish lap time the way the track is currently laid out.

I make a lot of passes in the corner before the triple just as the guy on the kawi made his pass on the guy with the GoPro. I also have to considerably slow down if all I want to do is double. The difference between doubling and tripling is propably an extra 35 feet.

Definitely get the newest GoPro, I mean, I doubt they even sell the old one I have but the new ones are freaking amazing compared to my crappy 1st gen!!!

you shouldnt have to feather the clutch all the time. When the clutch is being feather all the power the bike makes isnt going to the ground, ride the right gear. I have to battle with it my self sometime. but smooth is faster most of the time.

Edited by Family Man

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...I got myself a GoPro so here is the jump in question. The dirt is deceiving in this video. I looks tacky but it is not, the top layer is ok but it is hard as rock underneath. Basically it was really slick, especially in the flat corners. I got a pinch flat in my front tire going for this thing last time so in this video you won't see me trying it at all. I'm over clearing the double but no where near the triple. If it is tackier next time, maybe I'll try but I figure at this point it will just come with time.

The jump is at the 2 min mark, again at 3.30, at 5 min mark, from the side watching others jump it at 6:15, again at 8:20 and for the last time at 9:50.

Pacing the jump is roughly 80 feet.

Edited by Kx_Ryan21

looks to me like all you need to do is take that outside line as wide and fast as you can, hit it seated and bounce to make sure. If you have gotten your front wheel to the landing, you should know how much faster you have to go through the corner to get the speed to clear it. Commit at that roller, go wide all the way around. Are you rolling it in third?