Sign in to follow this  

Power difference, o-ring and non o-ring

I'm wondering how many people have made a switch between an O-ring chain and a non O-ring chain and actually noticed any difference in the power. I read a lot of threads about O-ring chains soaking up power because of added friction but I'm wondering how much, is it enough to be noticeable?

I've only ever used O-ring chains because up till now I've only owned XR's (aside from a couple of road bikes) and my recently purchased YZ has an O-ring chain, i would like to no if I can expect enough gains from switching to non O-ring to make it worth while.

Stay with your o-ring... You will never be able to tell a power difference whilst riding... Once warmed up, it is almost nil on the dyno. Don't get caught up in the spinning the wheel by hand on a stand test...

• Like 1

Stay with your o-ring... You will never be able to tell a power difference whilst riding... Once warmed up, it is almost nil on the dyno. Don't get caught up in the spinning the wheel by hand on a stand test...

.. what he said!

• Like 1

o ring. spend time riding, not replacing/maintaining a chain.

Edited by rpt50

^^^ Yup, tried both on my 450x. No noticeable difference and the O-Ring lasts MUCH longer and stretches less. Unless you need to go on the cheap just to get up and running, O-ring is the way to go.

• Like 1

As everyone else stated, you'll never notice the difference in chains. The only time I ever noticed a difference, was on my old CBR600. I switched from a big fat chain to a skinny 520. The weight difference is ridiculous between the two. Then it's the unsprung weight making a difference.

• Like 1

Ok, this confirms what I already suspected. I guess I will stick with the O-ring. Thanks all for your input.