Sign in to follow this  

will not start with new battery please help?

Thanks for any help. I bought my daughter an 06 crf 150f. When I purchased the bike the kid told me it had a dead battery, we jumped started the bike and it ran fine. I got home, replaced the battery. The bike still wont start. When you push the starter button, it tries to start but it sounds like a weak battery (same as before). I removed the starter, cleaned all terminal posts and re-installed and now it wont do anything at all... No noises or anything.will not even push start now Before the starter relay would click just like a car with a weak battery. Any helps is greatly appreciated.

Edited by jra704

ok i tour the bike apart tested all the easy switches clutch key ignition start button kill switch all check ok im thinking it may be thi cdi box or the starter silonid relay anyone know hou to test these parts or witch may be the better place to start could the cdi cause this problem i turn key on push starter button and nothing happens

before you do all of that, get a battery tender jr and let your battery fully charge for a day, then give it a try, some new batteries are not good, as they sit for a long time.

Having 26 years of experience as a mechanic on cars, trucks and heavy equipment, batteries and starters are all the same. The twelve volt battery should have 12.6 volts at rest. When loaded up upon starting it should not drop bellow around 10 volts at the battery. If it drops lower you have a weak battery. If it drops to zero it has a short or a dead cell. The best way to check this is to load test the battery with a load tester. Most auto part stores could do this for you. Also didn't hear you mention the neutral safety switch. It is located in the sprocket cover. Good luck.