First extras you would put on a brand new KTM 250 xc?

Jetting!! 42.nedh.168.See KTMTALK about suzuki needles. Stock is stupid lean off idle.

Springs for your weight.Stock fork spring .44 newton meter. (not kg) will prolly work from 180# to 200# depending on what your doing. Rear is more for 160# to 180# rider. Power wise a sx head will give nice boost off idle. I have NOT been a fan of the FMF Gnarly on past 2 strokes but i just put one on mine NICE!!, no loss anywhere. Oh yeah ultra duty tubes and the regular guards.

These motors have broad range of tuneibility with three powervalve springs and adjustable preload,and two ignition cures ( smpily unplug wire to set rain mode) Enjoy!

... but its "ready to race" ??? ... kidding :bonk: .. marketing phrase ... not even remotely true.

I just bought a new '12 300XC, and was floored at the LACK of grease in all the bearings.

I would suggest to strip it down and regrease everything. Also you might be surprised at the number of loose bolts you find. Torque them to spec.

Other than that, the usual add ons (bike protection, etc.) .. all personal choice stuff?

Enjoy the new ride.

Basic once over including greasing everything and checking bolts and adding 2oz of 5w oil to electric starter.

1.) Throttle cable mod, whether it being a new longer cable or wiring excisting one.

2.) Suspension setup for you. Only springs if your on a budget!

3.) Skidplate and linkage guard.

4.) Rekluse clutch

5.) Steering Stabilizer

Those are just a few that I did. My order was a bit different but had I had to do it all over again this would be the list in order. I also run a few extra goodies such as different a map switch, chain and sprockets, different tires, X-trig preload adjuster etc etc but even though they are all functional, they alway nessaccary.

My 09 was loaded with grease when new. Maybe the linkage assembly guys didn't get the memo. Obviously bark busters are a must, but my preference is to add nothing to a new bike until all the stock settings (suspension settings, PV springs and preload, jetting) are completely and systematically explored. After all, I imagine the KTM designers and engineers know a few things about building a bike. I like to fully evaluate their work before throwing aftermarket products at a new bike.

There is some grease .. if you want to call it that. Its that light "vaseline like" product that is used more to prevent rust than actually provide lubrication. I would not recommend relying on it.

Generally bike designers need to consider COST vs. quality on some items. If the manufacturers spec'd all high end parts, the price of their bikes would rise substantially.

Your right that OEM parts are generally "good" but there are significant improvements that can be made over design without even running the bike. Things such as the preload adjustor rings .. what is KTM thinking in this design? (switch to billet or x-trig), skid plate ... oops there isn't one, exhaust header being tinfoil thin (save it new and put it back on when you sell it), suspension work, etc. I agree that adding Orange billet parts, for instance, for looks is a waste of money.

Some aftermarket products are excellent, while others are not much of an improvement (i.e. billet plugs) if any over stock. I spend a LOT on aftermarket stuff before I even ride my bike, as I know what my "preferences" are. Things such as Rekluse EXP, rad guards, skid plate, specific handlebar bends, bark busters, suspension, are priority before even riding. "Ready to Race" ?? I hate that slogan ... no more ready than any other manufacturer. I would not want to race any bike directly off the showroom floor.

Edited by supervokes

I just bought a 2012 200xcw and I was thinking of taking off the pipe while it's new and putting on a gnarly pipe for a little more grunt. Has anyone tried the gnarly pipe on the 200? and does it in fact boost the low end?

I just bought a 2012 200xcw and I was thinking of taking off the pipe while it's new and putting on a gnarly pipe for a little more grunt. Has anyone tried the gnarIly pipe on the 200? and does it in fact boost the low end?

it does, but it takes some of the top and mid, which is a big no-no for me anyway.

Basic once over including greasing everything and checking bolts and adding 2oz of 5w oil to electric starter.

1.) Throttle cable mod, whether it being a new longer cable or wiring excisting one.

2.) Suspension setup for you. Only springs if your on a budget!

3.) Skidplate and linkage guard.

4.) Rekluse clutch

5.) Steering Stabilizer

Those are just a few that I did. My order was a bit different but had I had to do it all over again this would be the list in order. I also run a few extra goodies such as different a map switch, chain and sprockets, different tires, X-trig preload adjuster etc etc but even though they are all functional, they alway nessaccary.

Same here...

Scott's...I went with the sub mount and cr low bend bars.

Rekluse core exp...love this mod. I ride with the clutch 90% of the time. especially on corner entry/exit.

cycra pro bends/brp hand guard mount...these things are bullet proof. http://www.brpmoto.com

skid plate/pipe guard...I also have the rear brake guard.

radiator guards

I just ordered the motion pro throttle cable and new springs.

Here's what I've done to my 2012 200xc-w. Bark busters, skid plate, z-start pro, Left Hand Rear Brake, scotts steering damper, trials tire, and 13t countershaft sprocket. ... working on jetting now. The suspension seems really good for my weight right out of the box--a little stiff--but I'm going to wait for it to really break in before deciding which way to go with a suspension shop.

Edited by RIdude