Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 tank ZipTy vs IMS spark plug access?

Im looking at getting an oversized tank for my yz. I know the ZipTy is made by IMS but is thinner through the knees than a standard IMS. I am concerned about spark plug access. Some have said they can access the plug on an IMS but not a ZipTy. Is this true? And is fouling a plug on the trails very common?

I've let my YZ250 run rich enough to have spooge all the way down the bottom of the Q Stealth in two hours of run time, and never come close to fouling a plug, even with long sections of just puttering along the trail.

Somewhere on there there's a post where a guy crashed hard and slid his man parts into the hump on the top of his desert tank. They were all swollen, and his doctor had told him he might lose one. Zip Ty is most like stock in that regard, so it's my choice. No further discussion needed.

Edited by FRECNDY

I have the zip Ty and it is great. Bike is jetted great and have only put 2 plugs in it since new and it's a 08 and thats just replacing them over the winter not because they were fouled

I know spark plug access is somethign we all worry about, but I've ruined a grand total of I've had a few more go bad after I washed the bike and sucked water, but I could live without good plug access. Plus, the tank would be easy to slide up to change a plug. The Clarke tank is a POS in quality, but it feels great and allows access to the plug.

Yeah i have ruled out clarke tanks. I dont minds removing the tank for maintence/jetting spark plug changes, im just concerned about being able to change it on the trails if needed.

I know spark plug access is somethign we all worry about, but I've ruined a grand total of I've had a few more go bad after I washed the bike and sucked water, but I could live without good plug access. Plus, the tank would be easy to slide up to change a plug. The Clarke tank is a POS in quality, but it feels great and allows access to the plug.

I just bought a clarke 3.1 gal for my 125, what should i be concerned with? The fit and finish seem fine, but it only has a few hours on it. Tomorrow is my first ride with it, is it going to self destruct? I got it for $117 shipped, i couldnt resist.

Thanks

i had a ims on my 07rm 250 and am waiting on another ims for my 07 yz 250 to rock up on monday,i wouldnt use no other brand...ims is perfect fit and quality is great aswell.

I just bought a clarke 3.1 gal for my 125, what should i be concerned with? The fit and finish seem fine, but it only has a few hours on it. Tomorrow is my first ride with it, is it going to self destruct? I got it for $117 shipped, i couldnt resist.

Thanks

John, I've had both the Clarke and IMS on previous YZ's - I don't remember what is on my present one and It's not here to check. But I never had a problem with the Clarke which was on my 99, and I thought my IMS on the 04 seemed a little more bulky. I do know the 99 required me to lift the tank to replace the plug easily.

i have the clarke 3.9 gal and its awsome, my plug went bad yesterday on the ice track and changed it on the lake in about 7 minutes. you just gotta have the right tool. i'd never get any other tank, got my clarke tank on rocky mountain mx and i never looked back.

I have the zip-ty, Seat off, tank off, to change the plug. Only requires one tool, 1 x 10mm socket and ratchet with extension, 5 bolts in all. Takes less than a minute.

Never had to change a plug on the trail.

Well first ride with clarke 3.1 gal on my 06 125 today. All went well. There is not much of a difference in how i fit on the bike, as far as my jewels and moving my legs around the side of tank. The biggest difference was how heavy the front felt with a full tank, damn. As far as sparke plug access, it is only a 3.1 and it is on a 125, so there is tons of room, sorry i know this doesnt help the 250 crowd.

Does anybody have any pictures of the acerbis tank? Are they any good? How do they compare to the ZipTy tank as far as where weight is stored?