Sign in to follow this  

is there a plus to buying a used bike from dealer?

is there any advantages to buying a used bike from a dealer rather than a private seller? u end up paying more through a dealer, right?

Chances are that you will pay more buying a used bike from a dealership. However, a major plus is that you could always work out a deal to get some accessories free or at a major discount. Like maybe a free new rear knobby or a 25% discount on some hard parts and gear. You only need to know what the internet price is on what you want or need, and then see if your dealership can beat that price if you buy the bike ~ the more you buy the more you should save.

Just remember that a dealer is in the business to make money. Private seller would be a lot more flexable with price. And, there are not warranties from either! So if a bike goes boom, the money saved through private may pay for repairs.

I was in a dealership for 16 years, go buy a bike from an individual. An individual has owned the bike for so long and knows it from the front to back wheel. Most the time the bike are taken care of, or just go from your first impression of the appearance of the bike and that should be a sign of how well he took care of it. A dealer has no ideal about the bike he has for sale and for sure have it priced to make a good profit. I know, I was the one for 16 years looking for that profit.

Funny thing around here if you look in Craigslist the only place you see a realistic price is from a dealer. They give the seller a low price on trade in so they can shoot them out the door cheap. They don't like hanging on to second hand bikes.

All the private sellers on CL around here think there piece of turd is race ready and worth big bucks.