Sign in to follow this  

2000 yz250 rebuild. Bigger project than I thought. Pics

I bought the bike last year early spring for $900. Rode the hell out of it this summer and improved my riding tremendously. Now i would like to tear it apart, fix what needs to fix, replace what needs replaced, clean it up, paint job, plastics, and sell this spring. I have to other bikes also that i want to sell this spring, and hopefully the money i generate can go to a newer model of a bike. Id really like something with FI. But we wont talk about that sense im keeping it real with the 2-strokes for the time being. im also ripping this bike apart to learn more about bikes in general. I enjoy working on my bikes, so im anxious to learn more.

So here it begins.

As you will see in the pictures, i have not cleaned the bike. Duh on my part. But i have started taking everything off the bike and competed all but two items. The steering column, and the swing arm. If you can help, i cant seem to get these two pieces off. The nutts on the swing arm are off, and the bolt wont slide out. even after i hit the piss out of it with a hammer. The steering column nut wont loosen without turning the upper triple clamp.

any ideas? i hope to keep this updated. this is all the work i have done today.

and im an idiot. cant seem to figure out how to import the images on the new TT format.

i will try to figure it out and get some pics up.

Swing arm bolts tend to rust into the bearings if they are not well lubed and/or you pressure wash. First, make sure the shock is removed so the arm isn't preloaded. Pick up some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench at Wally World or an auto parts store, and soak the pivot joint a couple every couple hours. Work the lube into the joints to try to disolve the rust. You can also try moving the swing arm while you try to tap out the pivot bolt.

got any idea how to import images on this new format? i dont see an advanced button or anything. and the image button only lets me put a url in it. so i need to use photobucket or something of that sort?

photobucket works good....thats what i use.... you upload your image on photobucket, copy the direct link(which is under your photo, in photobucket) then on thumpertalk above the text box click the image box(green). then paste the link you got from photobucket

ok, i figured it out.

here is my progress.

and my dog was a big help

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

Here are the bolts i cant seem to get off. they must be rusted in like you said. cause no matter how much i beat on them, they dont budge.

IMG_2665.jpg

wow, these pics are huge. are they this big on everyone else screens? looks good too. i have a canon g12 that takes some sick pics. this should be fun. Im a huge broncos fan, so im thinking about adding some orange into the color. maybe an orange frame with some custom graphics made that have a little orange in them. i think it will look pretty sick.

also, and idea how that dam steering column nut comes off. all it does is move the upper tripple clamp side to side.

thanks everyone for your help.

normally mine are but i use "paint" to reduce the size...... +1 on the pics, they look awesome

triple clamp removal? just pop a soclect wrench on that bad boy and she'll loosen right up. top nut comes off first

i just did my triples the other day......the way i did it was with the forks actually in the trees that way the stoppers that stop the wheel from turning so far were used... this made it so i could apply as much pressure needed to get that damn nut loosened.... anyways you should still be able to do it without the forks in the tress.........turn both trees to one side ( the side that allows you to apply pressure and loosen the nut) the stoppers should allow you to loosen the nut

no the fun part for me is.......putting it back together and adjusting it right......just waiting on my grease to get here to lube up the bearings

Edited by ZTownsend

That linkage is a nightmare! That happened on my old bike and what happened was the bearing rusted onto the spacer which in turn rusted onto the bolt, my only option was to cut but i decided to leave it, although i didn't try heat and you might have access to a machine shop

ya prolly best bet would be to heat it up. or very carefully grind it off then just get a new linkage bolt

I had to cut that same bolt off my DRZ once. With a torch and new linkage arm off e'bay it was easy.

I tried heat and a big C clamp first to no avail.

if you didnt already cut the linkage........try a left handed drill bit.....Ive heard alot of good things about them and they just might do the trick, I actually just ordered a set and will let you know how good it works

got everything stripped off finally. the PB rust eater didnt work. i have to cut the linkage and swing arm off. good the the bike came with a box of parts and a damn near new swing arm with linkage.

I cant seem to get the bearings out of the linkage. seems to me like its pretty rusted in there. i have more PB stuff eating away at the rust, but i am going to need a vice and some serious pounding to get this swing arm back into a condition where i can re-condition it.

cleaned the frame and kinda wondered what i do next. not that everything is off, i need to start on something. im thinking stripping this bad boy of its paint and getting it ready for some new colors. im a Bronco's fan, so you can guess what colors im going to try and match up with the stock blue plastics. Im also thinking about using hollywoods process for dying my plastics and going with black. Not sure yet. i wish i could find a hurricane kit for this bike. that would be sick!

here are some pics.

IMG_2672.jpg

id like to get these out sometime and rebuild this linkage and swing arm. but those needle bearings are inthere pretty good.

IMG_2678.jpg

this could explain the not so smooth spin of the handle bars.

IMG_2681.jpg

lookin bare

IMG_2682.jpg

update of pics.

check out the pics of the piston, tell me what you think? rich, lean, just right? how am i doing on the jetting?

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg