Sign in to follow this  

99 kx250 2nd gear chatter

just put a crank and resleeved the top end i studied the shop man on the tranny gears got it together it shifts fine on the bench got the motor in the bike and was out on my 2nd breakin ride it goes through the gears fine but under power 2nd gear sounds like its coming out of the bike it chatters and jumps, shift it to 3,4 or 5th and no noise easy fix or do i need to tear it down again

my lil 230 did that when I broke a tooth on third gear,ran fine but made alot of noise in that gear.

here is the tranny pulled out no damageth_kx250tranny031.jpg

shift drum looks good th_kx250tranny030.jpg

ah metal shavings no beuno th_kx250tranny028.jpg

ya theres some grindage going onth_kx250tranny035.jpg

th_kx250tranny034.jpg

heres where i went wrong i belive i put the spacer on the wrong side of the gear th_kx250tranny033.jpg this would cause the gear grinding the case and the grinding in 2nd gear

i think this is how it should be th_kx250tranny037.jpgth_kx250tranny036.jpg

shaving weight so i can go faster th_kx250tranny029.jpg well iam going to order new gaskets and seals and try it one more time when i split it the gears roll smooth i guess i miss read the book when installing ahhhh what a nice 80 dollar set back

ya i was worried , ed so now that i have it apart how big of a pain is it to do the kdx tranny ive read your post i got a lathe to do the spacers , but do i still have to run the kdx sprocket shaft to make it work or can i use the kx shaft

It looks like you used some sort of permatex last time. I recommend using a 3 bond instead...There are several different brand names.

was thinking the same thing. use a case specific sealant. yamabond, kawabond,hondabond etc.

ya i was worried , ed so now that i have it apart how big of a pain is it to do the kdx tranny ive read your post i got a lathe to do the spacers , but do i still have to run the kdx sprocket shaft to make it work or can i use the kx shaft

The KDX trans shouldn't be to bad to do if you had one and are comfortable with your lathe but actualy the 94-98 1'st gear would be easier and a big help to a stock 99 trans. But anyway with the KDX trans you have to use the older countershaft sprocket, it is the same sprocket used on KX's up tp 98 but if just put in the 98 1'st gear you keep the newer countershaft sprocket. To put in the 94-98 1'st gear you need a 94-98 tranismission input shaft and matching 1'st gear for the output shaft,just those 2 parts.

Also yes use Yamabond or equivalent.

Ed