Sign in to follow this  

Stroker vs BigBore What do you guys think?

Alright here is the deal, I just ordered the ssw/mrd and fcr mx 39 carb. This summer I plan to send my motor out to eddie to have a BB kit and cams installed. The last two days ive been watching some videos and doing a lot of reading on the stroker kit with all the goodies. So my question to you guys is realistically is it worth it for that extra 5-7 hp gain for the extra 1200 or so bucks?? Then I run into the issue that I already spent 600 on a carb and would probably want the 41mm fcr. is the big bore enough for you guys who have it or are you already looking for more power?

Thanks

I cant comment on the engine mods but if you havnt installed the carb yet and you wanted to go a stroker/bb motor + 41fcr im sure you could sell the 39fcr for close to the ammount you payed for it.

forget the stroker.

get fcr, cams and BB. Maybe get new valves since you are going to ship the whole thing to Eddie.

save money on stroker and put in into your suspension

Off road BB is adequate..For on road go the stroker...

Close to 50hp is sweet, close to 60hp is sweeter..

Of course the above depends on.. 1)How much money you want to spend.?...2) your riding ability,? and ...3) How much power you are chasing.?.

I went with the stroker and all the goodies, although I haven't ridden a bike with the 50hp setup to compare it to I'm still glad I went this route and would do it again.

A BB is a super upgrade, but the stroker/ssw/rhc is another animal.

If you are shipping your engine to Eddie, do the full package - you will not regret this.

I did my engine in steps, started with the BB/Fcr39 and hotcams, and ended up with the 470.

In the long run, you will save a lot of money doing it all at once, because after some time the BB/fcr39 will not be enough :bonk:

• Like 1

A BB is a super upgrade, but the stroker/ssw/rhc is another animal.

If you are shipping your engine to Eddie, do the full package - you will not regret this.

I did my engine in steps, started with the BB/Fcr39 and hotcams, and ended up with the 470.

In the long run, you will save a lot of money doing it all at once, because after some time the BB/fcr39 will not be enough :bonk:

+470 on what f2dog said .

I did the same , fcr39 , after HotCams , after i added a '440 kit etc , now i have a 462cc bb stroker , i should kept my money and did it all at once .

Why do people say bb causes reliability problems?

Not sure who is saying that. The info here says that done correctly the BB is just as reliable as stock.

Not sure who is saying that. The info here says that done correctly the BB is just as reliable as stock.

I agree...

With just over 30,000 miles on my BB and the stroker crank, I would not consider them to have to created any change in reliability.

I've heard of head gasket sealing problems on some BBs but can it be remedied with some extra precaution during assembly.

The head gasket problem comes when the bore is too big from what I read here, there just isn't enough material left to clamp properly if the bore is made too large. The common 94 mm big bore kit doesn't seem to have problems. Don't forget the manual is wrong on the torque spec for the head, it should be 43 ft/lb and not 34 ft/lb as the manual says.

I'm running BB 434 and FCR 39 with FMF exhaust, I wouldn't know what to do with more power offroad, if its an SM then go for as much as possible, but if you ride tight trails, I doubt you will need all that power.

When you do the stroker/big bore will it require a larger radiator for cooling?

(I have an LTZ400 ATV)

I am collecting parts and getting ready to do the CW 434 big bore and am still thinking about doing the stroker crank.

This might sound dumb but how much more power does the bb give? I have cams exhaust and jetting and 70 is pretty comfortable and i can get it up to 100 with some time. Where does the power come in? The whole range or more torque? i dont know how this works...

When you do the stroker/big bore will it require a larger radiator for cooling?

(I have an LTZ400 ATV)

I am collecting parts and getting ready to do the CW 434 big bore and am still thinking about doing the stroker crank.

Stock rads are fine...

Remember for stroker you would look at using different cams,better valve springs ,larger valves , and for on road, a 41fcr..

Though a bigger smile will soon follow after assembly... :bonk:

This might sound dumb but how much more power does the bb give? I have cams exhaust and jetting and 70 is pretty comfortable and i can get it up to 100 with some time. Where does the power come in? The whole range or more torque? i dont know how this works...

As posted earlier close to 50hp,,depending on pipe../ setup

Gives better overall performance improvement..Torque and Hp..

Edited by CraigoDRZ485sm