Sign in to follow this  

2007 XR650L Trans.

27,150 miles on odometer. No power to the ground. clutch not slipping. The final drive rod to the sprocket is connected. something loose in trans. I will let everyone know more when it gets taken appart.

Pull the sprocket off the countershaft......i bet the spline is stripped..

B

Yes, it sounds like another stripped countershaft. :bonk:

Spud :lol:

Yes. The counter shaft is stripped. Now I find out that I should have changed to a XR600R sprocket and put it on backwards. this is what I understand to be the solution.

Yes. The counter shaft is stripped. Now I find out that I should have changed to a XR600R sprocket and put it on backwards. this is what I understand to be the solution.

If it's any consolation, you are certainly not the first XR650L owner to whom this has happened. You will need to split the crankcase in order to repair the countershaft. :bonk:

Edited by SpudRider

If you wish, after you split the crankcase you can follow Red's example, and install an XR600R countershaft. With the XR600R countershaft you have the option of installing an XR600R kick starter to back up your electric starter. :bonk:

As a bare minimum, I strongly encourage you to install the NX650 second gear, and the NX650 fifth gear while you have the engine apart. The NX650 second gear closes the gap between first and second gear, and the NX650 fifth gear gives you a higher overdrive, greatly reducing engine rpms while cruising at freeway speeds. :lol:

Spud :lol:`

Money is tight. I need the least expensive solution. the XR650l counter shaft has been ordered. Can I use the XR600R sprocket with the XR650L counter shaft. I understood It is a better fit. thank for the second gear info. i will pass it on to the mechanic. I am running the Conti-Go street tires. The rear tire is a 120/90 18. I don't think I want to make fifth gear any taller.

Money is tight. I need the least expensive solution. the XR650l counter shaft has been ordered. Can I use the XR600R sprocket with the XR650L counter shaft. I understood It is a better fit. thank for the second gear info. i will pass it on to the mechanic. I am running the Conti-Go street tires. The rear tire is a 120/90 18. I don't think I want to make fifth gear any taller.

If money is tight, you can weld a sprocket to the stripped counter shaft that is already in the bike. You will need to replace the stripped shaft sooner or later, but that may get you through to a time where money is not so tight.

Welding it on will work. Go easy on the heat as not to damage the counter shaft seal. Don't go over board welding it. I put 3 nice spots on mine and it held for most of the summer. The welds started to crack after I started to run lots of 1st gear rocky single track, actually I think that might have been what it killed in the first place. Just remember when and if you get the time and money to fix it right you are going to have to grind that weld off and it will not be fun. I just got done splitting the cases on my 93 and installing the new shaft. I also had the top end rebuilt while I was in there. Good Luck

The NX650 second gear, part #23421-MN9-010, retails for $48.87, but can be bought for $30.91, plus shipping. :lol:

http://www.cyclecentralpowersports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=154255&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1989&fveh=3579

The NX650 second gear is part# 5 in the drawing below.

2618_TRANSMISSION.gif

If you can possibly afford this gear, you will never be sorry you installed it while you had the crankcase split. :bonk:

Edited by SpudRider

I cannot say strongly enough that you NEED to change those two gears that Spud mentioned!!!! This is a MUST-DO mod if you have to split the cases.

Edited by D0T-C0M

There is another alternative... Using an XR600R first gear also eliminates the gap as it is closer numerically to the stock XRL second. When they built the XRL, they basically dropped a lower first gear in an XR600R gear box and called it a day. By doing so, they could put 15/45 sprockets on the XRL so it could run on the highway. The lower first gear gets the pig moving with the higher final drive ratio. Putting a higher first and then using 14/48 sprockets gives it plenty of grunt and you dont just push the gap up to the 2-3 spot in the tranny.

I have been running said tranny for a while now and it does well as long as I stay off of the highway. 14/48 gets brutal when you start sneaking up on 70.

If I was building a gearbox for all around use, I would likely use the NX second and fifth though. I had the XR600R tranny in hand when I built mine so swapping the gears was a no-brainer.

There is another alternative... Using an XR600R first gear also eliminates the gap as it is closer numerically to the stock XRL second. When they built the XRL, they basically dropped a lower first gear in an XR600R gear box and called it a day. By doing so, they could put 15/45 sprockets on the XRL so it could run on the highway. The lower first gear gets the pig moving with the higher final drive ratio. Putting a higher first and then using 14/48 sprockets gives it plenty of grunt and you dont just push the gap up to the 2-3 spot in the tranny.

I have been running said tranny for a while now and it does well as long as I stay off of the highway. 14/48 gets brutal when you start sneaking up on 70.

If I was building a gearbox for all around use, I would likely use the NX second and fifth though. I had the XR600R tranny in hand when I built mine so swapping the gears was a no-brainer.

Yeah but the new 5th gear is IMO the most important part of this gear swap mod. It allows you to run 14T/49T which really makes the bike badass in 1st trough 4th and still let it be highway drivable.

Edited by D0T-C0M

Yeah but the new 5th gear is IMO the most important part of this gear swap mod. It allows you to run 14T/49T which really makes the bike badass in 1st trough 4th and still let it be highway drivable.

Agreed. The next time I have mine open, it will get a NX fifth gear.

I just finished a top end rebuild of my engine in December of last year. The weather was cold, and at that time I didn't feel like pulling the engine out of the frame and splitting the crankcase. :lol: In addition, my countershaft was in very good condition, and I didn't have either of the NX gears in my possession. However, the next time I work on the engine I am going to install the NX650 gears. :lol:

The NX650 5th gear is expensive, and difficult to obtain. :lol: However, the NX650 2nd gear is reasonably priced, and relatively easy to obtain. :lol: Since you need to split the crankcase to replace your countershaft, I strongly encourage you to install the NX650 2nd gear. :bonk:

I'm working on the XR650R front sprocket and the NX650 second gear. The piston looks good but we are going to replace the rings. thx for the help so far. I ride my XR year round. This brake down happened just as gas prices climbed. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Get a late model xr600r counter shaft so you can install a kick start if you want in the future. Splines are the same.

Get a late model xr600r counter shaft so you can install a kick start if you want in the future. Splines are the same.

That's a good tip, Red! :bonk: After the XR600R countershaft is installed, one doesn't need to split the crankcase in order to install the XR600R kick starter. He only needs to remove the right crankcase cover. :lol: