Sign in to follow this  

02 xr70 wont react to idle adjustments

Idles way to high, idles a little high with choke on. No air leaks........... :bonk:

I have the slide in correctly (slope to the rear), bike needs a little more tuning, but when viewing the slide inside the carb and adjusting the idle screw the slide does not raise or lower at all. It is idling high, and will not react at all to IS adjustments.

This problem came out of left field (yesterday good, today bad)

Help before I I loose my.....(never mind it's gone) :lol:

did you check throttle free play?? it should be able to turn a tiny bit without actually moving the throttle. loosen the adjuster a bunch, tune throttle, then adjust the cable.

• Like 1

Make sure the throttle cable is not binding or pinched anywhere along the frame or under the fuel tank, and that the cable end is seated properly in the carb cap. Sometimes they pull out a bit and get caught on the edge of the seat.

did you check throttle free play?? it should be able to turn a tiny bit without actually moving the throttle. loosen the adjuster a bunch, tune throttle, then adjust the cable.

Thanks MCRIPPer :bonk: , adjusted the throttle cable and its golden. I love me thom thumper talk! What an easy fix, goes to show, I am not as smart as the mirror tells me :lol:

make sure your other cables are tuned properly too! dont want dragging brakes. adjust cables/ check free play every now and then :bonk:

Edited by MCRIPPPer

Now now don't confuse me with some noob. I check the breaks every time I re-modulate the discombobulater.

Thanks again, for your prompt reply, I want to take my little guy riding on Monday.

Now now don't confuse me with some noob...

Well then, as an oldb, you already know to pull the insert out of the exhaust to lubricate the bearing (part #4, shown below) every 100 hours.

XR70MBrg.jpgLaughing20rolling.gif

Well then, as an oldb, you already know to pull the insert out of the exhaust to lubricate the bearing (part #4, shown below) every 100 hours.

XR70MBrg.jpgLaughing20rolling.gif

did you photoshop that in???!?!?! nice work, but also scary the amount of spare time you have :bonk:

After disassembling the entire exhaust looking for part number 4, I realized that........everyone knows the exhaust pressure regulator bearing is only for 03 and up. If you read original post mine is an 02.

Please, be careful to post correct year/model OEM micro fiche. People can be confused extremely easy.

My mistake, you're 100% correct, the '02 was the last year that Honda used the polycarbonate/methyl/ethyl/butyl/hydrostatic o-ring, as shown below (part #4). I apologize for any confusion that may have occured.

XR70muffler.jpg

Homer-winkwink-75.gif