Sign in to follow this  

will these feeler guages work to check the valves?

I don't know, those look too wide to me, especially for the middle intake.

I just got a set of these in the mail today based on SUnruh's advice:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=909 part number 15-1526

They're nice because they actually go in metric increments, instead of inch increments with metric equivalents.

The ones in the first post look way too wide, and look like ordinary feeler guages.

I have an awesome feeler guage set from the official Yamaha tool supplier to Yamaha dealers (K & L Supply).

The part number is:

YM34483

These can be ordered through any Yamaha motorcycle dealer as all of their required special tools come from K & L Supply.

These are half as wide as typical feeler guages and made for the Yamaha 5-valve engines.

Edited by YZEtc

Those would work if you cut them to a width of 8mm for about 40mm then remove the bur on a sharpening stone.

I think the normal feeler gauges are around 3/4 in wide and its too wide for the middle intake. its easier and quicker to go with the bikemaster tapered feeler gauge mentioned above, it's what i use and works perfect.Also goes down to .03 mm i believe and up to 1.0mm. Plus it's cheap.

ya i have no issues with them i just want to see if i can find a set locally so what width should i look for to fit in the middle intake valve?

i know oreillys or local auto parts stores carry a mini feeler gauge set that would fit but i dont think the measurents go down low enough for the specs of the valves on motorcycles.

had the same problem, get a cheap set and cut them. imo not worth the massive amount of money to get specialized ones

had the same problem, get a cheap set and cut them. imo not worth the massive amount of money to get specialized ones

the bikemaster tappered set i bought was $5

The ones I liked to are only $8. I think even 0.5" is a little too wide. I'd look for something more along the lines of 0.25", maybe 0.3" max. The problem with getting a set at your local auto parts store, is that they are usually done in inch increments and have the metric equivalent marked on them, so you can never really get it spot on.

Spend a few extra bucks and get the right tool for the job, you'll thank yourself later.

i dont have a problem with spending 30 buck (i guess its only 8) but if i dont have to or i dont have to get them shipped i would be happier.

i thought the same way and checked all the local auto shops and they didnt have anything that would work, I just hate having to wait for shipping but im not gonna sit here and file down a normal set so i just bought the tappered 32 blade set from bikemaster for $5 and $4 shipping

ah ok thanks... I am going to try to get a set tomorrow from one of the shops around here. hopefully scotts powersports will have a set. if not im biking the 5-6 miles to ace hardware and am just gunna hit em with the dremel