will these feeler guages work to check the valves?

I don't know, those look too wide to me, especially for the middle intake.

I just got a set of these in the mail today based on SUnruh's advice:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=909 part number 15-1526

They're nice because they actually go in metric increments, instead of inch increments with metric equivalents.

The ones in the first post look way too wide, and look like ordinary feeler guages.

I have an awesome feeler guage set from the official Yamaha tool supplier to Yamaha dealers (K & L Supply).

The part number is:

YM34483

These can be ordered through any Yamaha motorcycle dealer as all of their required special tools come from K & L Supply.

These are half as wide as typical feeler guages and made for the Yamaha 5-valve engines.

Edited by YZEtc

The ones I liked to are only $8. I think even 0.5" is a little too wide. I'd look for something more along the lines of 0.25", maybe 0.3" max. The problem with getting a set at your local auto parts store, is that they are usually done in inch increments and have the metric equivalent marked on them, so you can never really get it spot on.

Spend a few extra bucks and get the right tool for the job, you'll thank yourself later.