Sign in to follow this  

Washington Plated! At long last!

Today I took my 2001 XR650R out on the highway for the first time LEGALLY with thanks to Procycle in Oregon (dualsport kit), Ricky Stator (200w stator and light) in Cali, South Sound Honda (inspection) in Olympia, and the hot woman behind the counter at Albertson's DOL booth! Took lots of time and money, but I finally have the dual sport bike I've craved for years. While it may not be as dirt worthy as my old TE510, it's a lot better (so far) for longer road rides. I'm jazzed.

0471_8.jpg

Hardest part was patiently waiting for the people behind the counter to figure out what to do. I first took it to Ralph's Thriftway here in Olympia, but the very nice (and equally hot) woman there couldn't get it to work. She told me there was an issue with the DOL's software, and I'd likely have to come back in a week. I politely said "OK" gathered my paperwork, and drove over to the next DOL location at Albertsons. The process proved difficult for hottie #2, but she was a wiz, and within ten minutes I was out the door with a plate. Yee Haw. This is going to be fun!

0564_8.jpg

• Like 1

Right on ! I have my kit on order for the 200 and cant wait, congrats on your dualsport :bonk:

Makes me smile. :bonk:

Happy stories make the hundred of hours put into this worth it :lol:

Edited by tod701
  • Like 1

yeah I was getting some stares zipping through downtown north bend last weekend but it was worth every moment. lol

IMG_7865.jpg

Cool! Congrats! My buddy had a plated 650R, they are suwheet DS bikes. Good job of jumping through all the states hoops and still ending up with a bike that looks great.

What did you end up doing for the rear reflector?

One suggestion, if I may... I have a personal vendetta against Pirelli MT21s, especially the fronts. For street and fire roads they do the job fine but for trails the BRP will be testing the limits of that tire. There are several other DOT fronts that work much better. I don't want to turn your success story thread into a tire thread so anyone who wants to dissagree with me let's move it to another post and I'll gladly talke DOT Knobbies with you. :bonk:

MT21's were what the dealer had in stock, and he cut me a GREAT deal on them. We'll just have to see what happens. Hopefully I won't eat a tree waiting for them to wear out. I've used the rear in the past with adiquate results...a little nervous about things I've read about the front.

Rear reflector was taken care of by a $1.49 part from O'Rileys (Schucks), mounted just below the plate (hard to see in this shot).

No problem with the headlight. My understanding is that there is a MINIMUM brightness required, not a maximum. Besides, this is a 7" Ricky Stator with High/Low, so it's not a TRUE 8" racelight...if anyone's taking notes.

...and lastly, of all the people I thanked in my initial post, I failed to mention those people who deserve the thanks most. Those of you, Tod, who made it happen! Thanks!

Fenders adequate for minimizing the spray or splash of water, rocks, or mud from the roadway. Fenders must be as wide as the tires behind which they are mounted and extend downward at least half way to the center of the axle.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I see this bill getting repealed.

Fenders adequate for minimizing the spray or splash of water, rocks, or mud from the roadway. Fenders must be as wide as the tires behind which they are mounted and extend downward at least half way to the center of the axle.

they don't do anything about sportbikes?

SUCK MY ROOST

• Like 1

Or bone stock factory dual sports, which have fenders looking awfully similar.

Edited by Dawg_enD

It won't be repealed. People might get tickets, but non-complience with a law won't cause it to get repealed. Look what happened with Prohibition...wait...bad example.

I was told the reflector is what the State Patrol will be more interested in busting people for.

All said, Coyote Offroad, one of the local shops/vendors who posts on this sight, has an EXCELLENT drop down extension/reflector for under $20 I think I'm going to get.

• Like 1

Congrads on you guys getting the bikes you always wanted. .Another thing that works for the rear reflectors are those small lic plate reflectors that also act as screws...

.Another thing that works for the rear reflectors are those small lic plate reflectors that also act as screws...

Nice idea, but do they comply with RCW46.37.060(2)?

http://apps.leg.wa.g...?cite=46.37.060

Every such reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than fifteen inches nor more than seventy-two inches measured as set forth in RCW 46.37.030(2), and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within six hundred feet to one hundred feet from such vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps, except that reflectors on vehicles manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1970, shall be visible at night from all distances within three hundred and fifty feet to one hundred feet when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps.

Edited by tod701

yeah I was getting some stares zipping through downtown north bend last weekend but it was worth every moment. lol

IMG_7865.jpg

Quick Hijack,I can see Dirtfish in the back ground and if you never been there you should check it out, that rally car stuff can be fun too!!! Now back to the topic

Quick Hijack,I can see Dirtfish in the back ground and if you never been there you should check it out, that rally car stuff can be fun too!!! Now back to the topic

I rode there to check it out as friends of mine spent the $300 for 2 hour session las saturday. I am to cheap for that. Looks fun but theres to many upgrades on my bike id like to do beofre I spend that. On a side not...geez they have a nice setup. If they could pulloff holding stumpjumper event there that would be a premier site. Never happen though. To many enviro extrimists have moved it.