Sign in to follow this  

700cc engine oil disappears

05 crf450r... I did a complete oil change. K&N oil filter, HP4M in engine, HP4 in trans, 700cc both sides. Before the oil change I completely drained the old oil overnight. Filled her up... let her idle... looked at the sight glass and appears empty except a little oil dribble on the right of the sight glass. Turned her off.. waited ten minutes.. the oil is on the low mark. Should I keep filling until the oil is in the middle??

This has happened to me before but the oil ended up equalizing eventually.

If I notice any clutch slippage, I will know its an oil migration problem due to the moly from the HP4M.

I know these race bikes run on low oil but damn. If this has happened to you please comment.

yes, could be migrating due to a seal. You measured your oil at 700cc both sides, when you drain the trans you will know. and are you checking after the fill on a stand? is the bike tilted away or backward from the sight glass it may show low. Also, when the engine/oil is hot it shows higher on the s.g. too..

yes, could be migrating due to a seal. You measured your oil at 700cc both sides, when you drain the trans you will know. and are you checking after the fill on a stand? is the bike tilted away or backward from the sight glass it may show low. Also, when the engine/oil is hot it shows higher on the s.g. too..

+1

From full to low is 700cc's? I thought these engines only held like 750cc's. It's probably just the way the bike is sitting makes the oil look low. make sure everything is level and look again. The slightest tilt can make it look low or overfull.

From full to low is 700cc's? I thought these engines only held like 750cc's. It's probably just the way the bike is sitting makes the oil look low. make sure everything is level and look again. The slightest tilt can make it look low or overfull.

pretty sure he measured out 750 per side for his oil changes (both sides).

pretty sure he measured out 750 per side for his oil changes (both sides).

He said he put in 700cc, and it "looks" low in the sight glass. I freaked one time by looking at the sight glass, it only works when the bike is near perfect level, otherwise you get an inaccurate reading. Took me awhile to get used to it too.

The bike is on a stand when I checked the oil.. but i am going to check if my stand is completely level first. I put 700cc on both sides melkman. I am going to start her up today and see if there is any change.

The stand is level. I am going to put 50cc more... a total of 750cc... Does anybody know the cc limit until the bike starts puking?

I might try draining the tranny and see how many cc I have gained.... I hate wasting a 20 dollar oil change.... I know rotella T.. I have two jugs.. Lets not turn this thread into a rotella thread!

fatrussian, that's what I thought as well... but people on the forum say fill up to 700cc so i figured the oil level should be on point.

I have another question... I have added 50 cc more and it is good to go. My question is if the oil level remains constant, there would not be an oil migration problem correct?

<p style="text-align: right">I always fill the oil all the way to the high mark on the glass and after starting the bike it always goes down to the middle or low mark. Im not sure wich side but either the tranny or engine side fill way up with oil when oil is migrating so i bet your fine.</p>

I have another question... I have added 50 cc more and it is good to go. My question is if the oil level remains constant, there would not be an oil migration problem correct?

Well, ya. If the level doesnt change its ok. But you already put 700cc in the engine side and then added 50 more? The engine site glass should be completely under at that point.

Did you change the filter at the same time? If so, that could be part of the level issue.

The oil pump only holds about a table spoon of oil.

Temperature can affect the oil level as it expands when it gets hot. Just monitor the oil level, if it stays within the High and Low marks, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1