Sign in to follow this  

Crf 250x

After help!

Thinking of getting a X and have some questions on 08-09 models I'm looking at purchaseing.

Is there any differances that make the latter model better?

Can any one tell me the differances in the 250X suspention to 250R besides valving? or is it the same gear?

Also which is the best cam to install? is a hotcams stage 3 or gold series a bad idea?what about pro circuit? I'm after a mid to top sorta power!

Also what are some MUST DO mods? other than the air box, un-corking mods, suspesion and exhaust as these are a given.

I've seen some pictures on TT of some pretty wild mods undertaken tidy work fellas! But which of these have made the bike a better thing?

I so need to learn so please contribute with your knowledge.

Cheers

After help!

Thinking of getting a X and have some questions on 08-09 models I'm looking at purchaseing.

Is there any differances that make the latter model better?

Can any one tell me the differances in the 250X suspention to 250R besides valving? or is it the same gear?

Also which is the best cam to install? is a hotcams stage 3 or gold series a bad idea?what about pro circuit? I'm after a mid to top sorta power!

Also what are some MUST DO mods? other than the air box, un-corking mods, suspesion and exhaust as these are a given.

I've seen some pictures on TT of some pretty wild mods undertaken tidy work fellas! But which of these have made the bike a better thing?

I so need to learn so please contribute with your knowledge.

Cheers

Hey man, so I have a 2008 X and ride pretty much exclusively desert and was looking for more top to mid range power and here is what I went after. As far as suspension goes, set the sag (around 4.0in) get the clickers how you want them and leave it alone. The valving, fluid, and spring rates are different from the R, the frame has more rake in the front (longer wheelbase = more stablilty at speed), and the tranny has taller gears, more top end speed. Motor wise cam and piston is different. I am pretty sure the new models 08-09 had a better top end set up that didnt need to adjusted as often, and it has better rotors (same ones that came on the R).

But here are the mods I have done, went from a 53T rear to a 48T rear, you will have to install a masterlink in the stock change and remove a link. I did a FMF Q4 slip on with stock header, smog delete (SoCal and AZ never check for it), removed the snorkel in the airbox and installed a UNI airfilter with stock backfire screen (just cut it out with dremel), FMF/DynoJet jet kit, cheaper than the JD and you are given plenty of options for mods and altitude. Went to a 110/100x18 tire (taller which gives you a longer rollout = more top end speed) and I cut the pink wire (I noticed a difference with it cut even with the stock cam). It also has a full super low profile DS kit installed, I just need to register it, TT Voyager, Applied Racing bar mounts with alum. bushings, deleted the front and rear disk covers, deleted stock odometer (R axle, right side seal, spacer, and fork protectors), ASV levers, Acerbies skid plate, PC Racing stainless steel oil filter, BajaDesigns stator, and a custom HID kit I built and installed in the stock housing.

Those mods really brought the bike alive and gave it a much more aggressive powerband as well as throttle response. I haven't played with a cam yet but this bike already has a ton more power over stock and the only thing holding me back is my riding ability, not the power coming out of the bike. Plus once you start messing with motor internals especially with a cam or piston you'll have to step up checking your valves more often, not fun. One last thing, keep up with oil changes on the motor and tranny, I probably do it more than I need to but it will be cheaper in the long run.

Edited by AZ_DZRTRNR
  • Like 1