Sign in to follow this  

TTR125LE snail adjusters

Hi all. I've got an issue with the snail adjusters on the bike and was wondering if anyone has seen the same thing.

I just put a new chain and sprockets on and I got looking at the rear sprocket and noticed it didn't look totally straight in comparison to the chain. I got a straightedge out and put on the sprocket and sure enough the chain was not in line with the sprocket :bonk:

I adjusted the snail adjusters until the sprocket was running in a straight line with the chain, but it ended up needing the right side adjuster 5 clicks lower than the other side.

The sprocket is flush with the hub, and the bearings are good on both the wheel and swingarm and both spacers are present. Nothing looks bent anywhere either.

The chain and sprockets all look like they're lined up now and everything seems to work fine. I was just a little perturbed that the adjustors were so different.

It's concerning because as much as the sprocket was out of line with the chain I could see it causing excessive chain wear.

Anybody else see something like this?

With the rear sprocket aligned with the chain, Is the front sprocket also in line?

With the rear sprocket aligned with the chain, Is the front sprocket also in line?

It seems to be. Bike rides fine too.

I measured the distance from the swingarm bolt to the rear axle bolts today and they're the same with the adjusters being 5 clicks apart. It's looking more and more like something is 'off' enough on this bike that the snail adjusters need to be different. Kind of strange.

It's possible I guess. It looks ok though. I can't imagine the kind of impact it'd take to bend the swingarm though.

Have you tried removing the rear wheel and try to check the swing arm with it off? Measure the angle of each side of the swing arm, see if it could be bent...something has to be out of Wack for the adjusters to be that far off...

At this point it just about has to be a tweaked swingarm. It runs so well I'm not going to mess with it though. The next time I take the swingarm off to grease it I'll compare it to an extra swingarm I have and post results.