WR300 Brake Pad Blues

So I bought a new WR300 back in July and I'm due for new brake pads. I normally try to buy everything from my local shops, however one of my riding buddies emailed me that Rocky Mountain MC had brake pads for $5.99 on clearance which is way to good to pass up.

So I ordered the brake pads for a 2010 WR300, they arrived and I went to put them on and they don't fit... they were too small. This happened about 9:30 on thursday night and I was trying to go riding Saturday. So yesterday (friday) during the day I snuck off to Tasky's to get the correct brake pads, and if anyone knows which ones are the right ones I'm sure it'd be him. BUT, he is closed for some family events so I had no fix. I called another local shop that just started carrying the Husky brand, they said they had one pair of EBC brakes for my bike so I had them set them aside for me.

After work I went to that shop and before I even talked to the parts guy I saw the EBC brakes sitting on the counter.... and they were the same WRONG brake pads again. just too small. I was all sorts of confused, I figured my bike had to have some different rear brakes from the factory.... They have an '09 WR300 so I checked what brake pads it takes... same as mine, so at least now I know it's not just my bike.

I had my wore out brake pads with me so we looked them up in the book and found out I need an FA208 (EBC p/n) rear brake pad, which they didn't have in stock so still no fix. I think that is the brake pad for the older huskies and KTM's but who knows.

I let Rocky Mountain MC know about the whole thing and they were very considerate, since I have 3 sets of the wrong brake pads now, they are going to credit me back those and send me the correct ones once they confirm which ones are the correct pads for free. I've gotta say that I am really impressed with their customer service through this whole deal.

What I don't get is how do multiple brake pad manufacturers have the wrong pads listed for these bikes?? I mean these bikes aren't that rare and no one has noticed this yet?!?!

So now my bike is down, it's Saturday morning and I'm on the computer.... instead of on the trails where I should be. :bonk:

Rant Complete.

Had the same issue with my 2006 WR250. Didn't understand it a few years ago when it happened. I just make sure I always have an extra set just in case there's a delay in finding the correct pair. I now take a spare set after ripping the pads off a good set in a rain+sand soaked weekend.

Is it possible, your 2010 bike still has 2009 spec parts on it, ?

maybe worth going through things now , while you are in a position to get things in order,

these things do Happen,

my friend had a brand new KTM, after it's 1 .5 hours of heat cycling up and down a private driveway,

we couldn't figure out where the fine metallic dust was coming from..,

it was the front brake pistons wearing away on the rotor,

the bike had NO front brake pads installed,

Charlie

Is it possible, your 2010 bike still has 2009 spec parts on it, ?

It seems as the all the brake pad manufacturers just missed the mark on the WR300 because they all list the same wrong rear pads. I think all the WR300's have the same brake pads for the recent years.

The parts guy I've been talking to has a theory that since KTM upgraded their brakes, the brake pad folks assumed Husky did to. I really have no idea were the information lapse comes from and how it is consistently wrong but it boggles my mind.

Either way, I got the correct ones on the way (fingers crossed). They are the spec'd brake pad for a '98 WR360.

I had the same issue, ordered the pads and then saw this post. Pads showed up and they are wrong, sent them pics they said the EBC catalog shows the wrong pads (I did some checking around and found this to be true). They returned my call and said they shipped more pads out, said they were for a wr250....got online and they sent them for a Yamaha wr250! I talked to the dudes and told them that someone else had a similar issue, I couldn't get online to do any research but now I see the that the older Husky wr250 and 360 will fit and the part numbers are correct. Glad I ordered some from Halls also.

• Experts

Try to cross reference to a Honda OEM pad. Far superior to anything else out there.

You haven't tried Moose or DP pads have you ? DP makes both. DP was the originator of the sintered metal pads that Honda now uses. Most OE brakes are now sintered metal pads. I just find that not only do the DP and Moose pads work better in stopping but last longer too while helping to prevent braking heat reaching the caliper. I am not saying that OE Honda pads are bad. Infact they are very good. I don't remove them till they are worn out then I replace them with Moose. Pro fronts and XCR rears.

Edited by Dwight_Rudder

WR250/300 never got the newer style brake caliper that left side drive bikes got, so it still uses older style caliper and "long" brake pads. Any KTM dealer can give you either. Like Dwight said, any Parts Unlimited Dealer can hook you up.

Good point there Norman,

I'd forgotten the drive was on the RHS,

I've been buying-up cheap stocks as the Shops near me are clearing out the "old-style" long pads, now that the KTM's have gone away from that style of pad,

Charlie

Edited by varesecrazy

The problem lies in the EBC catalog, their current catalog shows the wrong pads for the WR line. Rocky MT said they use that for cross referencing.

I looked up the correct EBC part number at the shop by holding my worn brake pad against the template in the EBC book, then told Rocky MTN the EBC part number and they crossed referenced that to the Neutron to get me the correct Neutron pads. And ironically EBC and Neutron both had the wrong ones labeled for a WR300.

Rocky Mountain was cheap, had excellent service and fixed the debacle, but next time I'll go to my Husky shop where I have faith they'll get me the correct ones, probably either Moose or DP as recommended.

Serves me right for buying online.............. :bonk:

• Experts

next time I'll go to my Husky shop where I have faith they'll get me the correct ones, probably either Moose or DP as recommended.

Serves me right for buying online.............. :bonk:

I only buy online when I can possibly get it through my shop. Most of the time that means Vintage bike parts on Ebay. I have seen too many problems with buying online. Usually you don't save money or don't save enough to be worth the hassle. IMO, Dwight

I would just rather give my money to the local vendors, it's important to me for them to stay in business. And when the customer service is there, I don't mind paying a little extra to have someone I can talk to in person.