To rebuild my suspension or not

I am wondering if it is worth it or necessary to rebuild my suspension. It's not leaking or broken and works fine. It's a 2005 CRF250X and I have never had it serviced. It's spent a good deal of time sitting. I ride mostly off road with some mx time. I call one shop and they say I should service it. I call other shops and they say if it ain't broken why fix it. So should I rebuild it or maybe just change the oil or leave it alone?

I am wondering if it is worth it or necessary to rebuild my suspension. It's not leaking or broken and works fine. It's a 2005 CRF250X and I have never had it serviced. It's spent a good deal of time sitting. I ride mostly off road with some mx time. I call one shop and they say I should service it. I call other shops and they say if it ain't broken why fix it. So should I rebuild it or maybe just change the oil or leave it alone?
You'll notice the difference...also the springs for your weight like what's been suggested and maybe think about revalving and seeing what it would cost etc.. I didn't want to spend the money and go through the effort for my bike but I have to say that the money was well spent for my cr. It's awesome. I'm going to spend some cash doing the same thing to my Beta too. It's a bummer that this isn't cheap like changing motor oil. Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Thanks for the advice guys. Definitely going for the rebuild. Always wanted to do a revalve, but don't have that kind of money now. I think the springs are prob good for my weight. I'm 165lbs without gear. How do you deteremine what springs you should use, by how it feels or is there a way to look it up?

For casual trail riding and your weight the stock springs are fine. Just have the units CLEANED properly and cked/refilled with the proper oil. In CO there are several top notch tuners who can help you for a reasonable price. The new oil alone will be a noticeable difference. Don't waste a lot of money on something that will not have a benefit for your occassional, non-racing use.

Edited by YHGEORGE

It's been a couple years since I have ridden or checked the sag (car accident), so I don't remember the numbers. I'll post the numbers hopefully tomorrow or the next day as soon as I can find a helper.

I'll probably stick with the stock springs and just do a full service, since I ride it at the track and off road and I seem to be the average rider weight. Looking for good all around performance. We'll see what the sag says and go from there. I'm guessing I'll have to check it again after having it serviced. Can I expect it to change much?

I live in the Denver area. Any recommendations on where to take it for those who know the area? I'd do it myself, but I just don't think I have the tools or time right now.

So i checked my sag today. Bike unloaded on the stand 22.25in(565.15mm), bike unloaded off stand 20.75in(527.05mm) and me on bike 18.1875in(461.962mm). So that should be 4.0625in(103.1875mm) race sag and 1.5in(38.1mm) free sag. My manual says 3.9in(100mm) is standard. According to my owners manual, i am running a bit too much sag. Does 3mm really make that much difference? If i did my math right i am at about 18%. I thought about 25-30% sag was normal. I guess my next step is to adjust it to what the book says and then check my free sag again and that will tell me if i am running the correct spring?

So i checked my sag today. Bike unloaded on the stand 22.25in(565.15mm), bike unloaded off stand 20.75in(527.05mm) and me on bike 18.1875in(461.962mm). So that should be 4.0625in(103.1875mm) race sag and 1.5in(38.1mm) free sag. My manual says 3.9in(100mm) is standard. According to my owners manual, i am running a bit too much sag. Does 3mm really make that much difference? If i did my math right i am at about 18%. I thought about 25-30% sag was normal. I guess my next step is to adjust it to what the book says and then check my free sag again and that will tell me if i am running the correct spring?

Your right in the ballpark, the spring is correct for you. 3mm isnt going to be life or death, With 103mm you looking at a smidge better cornering but I will say that even if you adjusted for 100mm you wouldnt know the difference. Get it rebuilt and your done. If you have the budget, I would recommend the revalve if you felt you wanted too. If you like it stock, leave it stock.!