Sign in to follow this  

Well this doesn't look good...

Was greasing my chain today and noticed wear marks on the inside of my chain. Got a closer look and the worn links also are cracked. Would sprocket misalignment cause this?

2012-02-18_16-36-22_716.jpg

2012-02-18_16-35-23_530.jpg

pretty amazing you would even see that, I guess at 45 I am getting too old to see such things

that is a tough call about alignment issue

good chains, cheap chains...things just break...sorry...didn't really help with your problem

Looks bad for sure. What kind of O-ring chain is that? How hard do you ride on or off road, what's your weight, what kind of tires do you run? Just trying to figure out if the cracks are because of an extra hard life or a junk chain. There are wear marks on the chain, you should be able to see what it's hitting or rubbing against. Post some pics from the rear so we can get a look at the alignment and some pics of both sprockets. The back one is not pointy and looks ok but more pics would help.

Pretty sure it's the stock chain, the bike on has 4200 miles on it. I haven't replaced it since I bought it last year. I only ride on road and I'd consider fairly hard, I'm running a 150 Pilot Power rear tire. I replaced my CS less than 6 months ago, just checked my old one and there's no excess wear marks.

Edited by Moterreal

It's usually best to replace both the sprockets and chain at the same time. Maybe this is why? My stock chains and sprockets last at least 7500 miles but am pretty mild most of the time. I'd say either you have a bad stock chain, a cheaper replacement, or have been snatchin that chain real hard for a long time. Thats pretty bad stuff going on with your chain. How bad has it stretched, where are your chain adjuster marks?

I've seen the chain guard below the rear sprocket ground away from the chain riding on it but that doesn't look the same. The worst wear from that guard is usually on the outside and top of the chain, similar though, worth a look.

Edited by JEB1962

Please check your swingarm slide plate...Pull your swingarm off and slider.

What are you looking for? Worn bearings letting the swing arm twist causing misalignment, swing arm side plate wear? I am learning this stuff too, hope you don't mind me asking.

I don't think the sprocket can make contact with the chain in the wear spots, maybe the case guard got misaligned?

I just had the swing arm off last weekend to grease the bearings, you're talking about the plastic plate on the swing arm by the swing arm bolt correct?

What size CS? Have you seen it lately?

16 T I had the chain guard off last week when I was taking the swing arm off, I didn't notice anything.

Not mis-alignment, nothing done wrong. It is just a chain thing. Once in a while a chain will do that, event top quality ones. Good that you found it at this point.

Not mis-alignment, nothing done wrong. It is just a chain thing. Once in a while a chain will do that, event top quality ones. Good that you found it at this point.

I'm glad i found it before it broke, considering i spent a large portion of my ride today doing 75+ mph.

Edited by Moterreal

Likely the wear is just from the chain slider...

The cracked links,, not sure.. unless you’re running the chain way too tight.

Check both the swing arm slider (especially the front part that wraps around the swing arm) and the chain guide for wear.

Replace the chain and sprockets , double check alignment and you should be good to go.

One last thing.. check the countershaft sprocket for type (brand) and correct installation. The DRZ uses an off set design, the OEM sprocket has a built in “spacer” on the back side and “dish” on the front side… Some aftermarket sprockets are cut from plat plate, and use a separate spacer.. and if a user tries hard enough, any of the different designs can be installed backwards.

I'm glad i found it before it broke, considering i spent a large portion of my ride today doing 75+ mph.

Good observation there mate.... :lol:

You have possibly saved yourself a lot of pain and suffering, and damage to your bike...

To be honest I have never seen this before ... :lol:

Could it be a sign of manufacturers cutting back on the quality of their materials??.. :bonk:

Could have been very tight at one time on the chain adjustment, check the chain tension with the swingarm in the center...may need 2 people to sit on it. At least you caught it. :bonk:

Likely the wear is just from the chain slider...

The cracked links,, not sure.. unless you’re running the chain way too tight.

Check both the swing arm slider (especially the front part that wraps around the swing arm) and the chain guide for wear.

Replace the chain and sprockets , double check alignment and you should be good to go.

One last thing.. check the countershaft sprocket for type (brand) and correct installation. The DRZ uses an off set design, the OEM sprocket has a built in “spacer” on the back side and “dish” on the front side… Some aftermarket sprockets are cut from plat plate, and use a separate spacer.. and if a user tries hard enough, any of the different designs can be installed backwards.

I suspect the previous owner rode it hard, the stock rear tire was bald after only 2k miles. My rule of thumb for tightening the chain is adjust it until the top has 1/2" of play and the bottom of the chain has 1 1/2" - 2". It's a Driven CS, I had to do a lot of grinding both on the metal case guard and the plastic slider on the swing arm for the CS to go on, should the spacer be facing towards the engine?

I just had the lower chain guide off, no major wear on it.

I suspect the previous owner rode it hard, the stock rear tire was bald after only 2k miles. My rule of thumb for tightening the chain is adjust it until the top has 1/2" of play and the bottom of the chain has 1 1/2" - 2". It's a Driven CS, I had to do a lot of grinding both on the metal case guard and the plastic slider on the swing arm for the CS to go on, should the spacer be facing towards the engine?

I just had the lower chain guide off, no major wear on it.

Yes the spacer is on the engine side. So OEM spacer, aftermarket spacer, sprocket, lock washer, nut with the relief side in.

On a DRZ, if you let the rear wheel hang.. push down on the chain, top side, it should just touch the end of the chain slider.

And lower slider is not that part that wears and becomes an issue.. It’s the front slider, the chain wears though and then into the swing arm.

I'll check the slider today. But what doesnt make sense to me is that the wear is on the top of the chain, which to mean seems like I didn't grind enough off the case saver.

I'll check the slider today. But what doesnt make sense to me is that the wear is on the top of the chain, which to mean seems like I didn't grind enough off the case saver.

Ugh, you think? Seems like this is new information.

I'd sure check to see if that's the problem before putting a new chain on.