Sign in to follow this  

Blue Ribbon Coalition membership comes with gift card

I just got my renewal notice from the BRC this year. It's normally $29 for one year of membership and $58 for two years (you don't save anything by paying for 2 years at once).

This time, the notice came with an offer from Rocky Mountain ATV that gets you two years of memebership for $50 and RMATV sends you a $25 gift card.

I'm a member of the BRC and the Michigan Cycle Conservation Club because I figure that, since I spend a few hundred to a thousand dollars a year on motorcycle parts and gear, I should be able to afford $60 a year to support organizations that keep the trails open.

I don't spend time volunteering to maintain trails, and I don't go to local and National Forest planning meetings like I should to voice my opinion. Throwing some money at organizations that do those things assuages some of my guilt.

Here is the link to the BRC membership deal: https://www.sharetra.../secure/rmatvmc

I'm a member of the BRC and the Michigan Cycle Conservation Club because I figure that, since I spend a few hundred to a thousand dollars a year on motorcycle parts and gear, I should be able to afford $60 a year to support organizations that keep the trails open.

I don't spend time volunteering to maintain trails, and I don't go to local and National Forest planning meetings like I should to voice my opinion. Throwing some money at organizations that do those things assuages some of my guilt.

Here is the link to the BRC membership deal: https://www.sharetra.../secure/rmatvmc

However, attending meetings and participating is much more effective than membership. Most of the letters, emails, phone calls, etc. you mail/make never get to the powers that be who make decisions. In fact they rarely get to anyone of significance at all. They become lost in a statistical report which no one understands or takes note of.

If you attend meetings and voice your concerns personally, the powers that be notice. This is the biggest problem we have in the OHV community. Very little personal involvement. Your money contributions help some. A membership is just another statistic which means very little to the powers that be. Your membership mostly supports lawyers, who do their best, but the powers that be don’t want to hear from a hired gun, they want to hear from YOU. That means you.

Riding areas and trails are being closed due to lack of personal involvement on your part. So get personally involved. Meetings dates/times are posted on web sites well before the date. Subject matter is described. If you want to continue riding, take note of these meetings and attend.

If you ride on Forest Service/BLM land, next time you are there, take five minutes and go into a forest service/BLM office and sign the guest register. Reason for visit - OHV riding. At least you will become part of the statistical data base as a OHV user. In some places you will have to ask to see the register, but it is there and you need to personally sign it.

Trail maintenance is another area which will help keep areas open. But trail maintenance requires your involvement. Two of the areas I ride in are mostly supported by volunteer trail maintenance. Without the volunteer trail maintenance the areas would be closed.

The next time you ride in an area, realize that some one is volunteering to keep the area open. Why don’t you personally help?

I agree with everything you've said. I should be more involved physically rather than simply economically.

One of the ways these organizations do help with involvement is posting the information about getting involved. When I went to renew my membership, this story, that I was previously unaware, caught my eye: http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2012/02/02/michigan--fs-announces-decision-on-proposal-to-ban-gun-hunting-and-snowmobiling-in-areas-of-huronmanistee-nf