Sign in to follow this  

New Clutch cable install now the clutch wont disengage

03 crf450r I installed a new clutch cable today now the clutch wont disengage when i pull the clutch lever.

it seems like it is pulling it plenty far enough but when the bike is off and i m in gear and pull the clutch lever in

it wont let me roll freely.

This is my first crf but not my first bike is there any tricks you have to do to install the cable or is it pretty straightforward

like all other bikes.

any help would be appreciated.

03 crf450r I installed a new clutch cable today now the clutch wont disengage when i pull the clutch lever.

it seems like it is pulling it plenty far enough but when the bike is off and i m in gear and pull the clutch lever in

it wont let me roll freely.

This is my first crf but not my first bike is there any tricks you have to do to install the cable or is it pretty straightforward

like all other bikes.

any help would be appreciated.

do you have no more than 1/8" free play in the lever? im guessing you have not adjusted the adjuster on the CAbLE itself and have too much free play. If you did nothing other than replace the cable, ya have to have an issue with the cable. set the perch adjuster in the middle then loosen the nut on the cable adjuster. spin it out to take up free play.. check that the clutch does disengage. then set the free play, and adjust at the perch as needed later. Take a PHOTO of your cable mount at the engine case.. wanna see how you put the 12mm nuts on there.

Ok so its not my cable, I have about 1/2" play in the lever.

But what i did was put the the bike on my stand put in in gear grabbed my channel locks and moved the clutch lever over manualy and it still wont the the wheel spin freely,

so its in my clutch itself. but since i have really have never played around with a clutch before what shoiuld i be lookig for?

i have my manual and i guess im going to disassemble it and try to figuar out whats wrong.

any tips or pointer?

yes you will have to FIGURE out what is wrong.

If the bike has sat for a long period of time, the plates are stuck together. Either with the bike off in 4th gear, pull in the clutch and pull the bike back about 10 feet. If that doesnt free it up, then you will need to remove the side cover, pressure plate and clean the plates individually. Also check for notching on the basket. Replace any parts as needed.

no air tools required for that procedure. a manual would be nice..eveyone should have one.

Edited by MELK-MAN

So I dug in to the clutch tonight and nothing seems worn or out of place in fact it looked like a new clutch. When i pulled the cover off, i pulled the the clutch lever and it pushed out around 1/2 inch. again seems normal but when i pulled it, it still seems like it was in gear still, it would not let the wheel spin freely. So i preceded to take the pressure plate off then the plates and disc's. they seemed fine. then i pulled the clutch lifter and the lifter rod they seemed fine as well. The springs measure at 1.75 which are in spec i don't have anything to measure the discs but again they look fine. So I put it back together except the cover and put it 4 th gear and pulled it back about 10 feet i could feel it break free slightly but that's it. I'm stuck i don't know what else to do any help would be appreciated.

The clutch plates will stick together if the bike has been sitting quite a while (a week or two). Does the clutch drag and pull the bike forward with the engine running? Make sure youve got 700cc of oil in the trans too. The lever only needs about 1/8" of play at the perch. Any more you loose the throw of the lever. Also, make sure the clutch cable bracket on the engine isnt cracked and bending over sideways when you pull the lever.

Bracket is fine and when I start it in nuetral and pull the clutch and pop it in firts it lerches forward and dies.

Im going to pull it apart again. Clean the fiber plates up soak them in oil again, in the house to keep them warm.

Then put it back together start it up , put it on the bike stand pop it gear and let the tranny get warm and start actuating the lever and hitting the rear brake to see if it is just the fibers sticking together.

Hopefully it works if not ill put in a new kit in it. The basket itself is fine you can see were the metal plates rest but there is no marks that you can feel. Springs are @ 1.75 spec is 1.76 so they are close but still in spec and I dont have anything to measure the fiber plates with. the push rod ends are fine not mushroomed. i micro fisched it and everything is back in how its supposed to be. every washer screw spring plate ect. im baffled.

do you have the correct number of fibers and metals? 8 and 7. Also, are you sure you didn't loose the washer that goes on the end of the throwout bearing. It sticks to the pressure plate, and when you set the pp down it often falls off to be gone forever.. Dial the friggin free play completely out of it at the perch adjuster and/or the cable adjuster. If the pressure plate is coming off the pack of plates when you pull the lever in, it doesn't matter if they are stuck together..

Edit : i'm not right about the fibers stickin to the metals. If they are stuck it will not disengage. the pressure plate and the metals all move together as the pp is screwed to the center hub, that moves the metals.

Edited by MELK-MAN

I'll check the number of plates and fibers when i get home, i did check the washer last night because i saw were you mentioned that to anoother guy who had the same problem and it was there, so im not missing it. Yes the pressure plate is coming off the pack when i pull the lever. it coming out about 3/8".

with the cover off and the pp off, spin the center hub to be sure the metals move independantly of the fibers. the fibers are attached to the basket by the outer teeth, the metals are attached to the center hub by the inner teeth. just remove all free play from your lever before starting this next time to see if that helps. not how it should be for stock setup but by all accounts yours should be working.

Ill try it when i get home. ill let you know, BTW Thanks a ton!

Off the top of your head do you know the torque #'s on the basket nut? i dont have my manual here at work and it's bothering me. i know the springs are 9#

Ill try it when i get home. ill let you know, BTW Thanks a ton!

Off the top of your head do you know the torque #'s on the basket nut? i dont have my manual here at work and it's bothering me. i know the springs are 9#

not off top of my head, but do a search. i know it's been asked-answered.

Edited by MELK-MAN

When i tighten the basket nut to spec should the inner basket spin freely? If so mine is not. the big washer is behind the inner basket then the basket then another washer then the lock washer then the nut.I cant spin the basket.

When i tighten the basket nut to spec should the inner basket spin freely? If so mine is not. the big washer is behind the inner basket then the basket then another washer then the lock washer then the nut.I cant spin the basket.

It should spin freely with the nut tight as dicks hat band. The problem is the center spline is not pushed into the clutch basket far enough.

Also, make sure you assemble the thrust washer and washer properly that goes on the end of the clutch push rod. Part ID 8,20, 19.

so i got the basket nut spec and and i can get it to spin, its tight but i can get it to spin. So i put it back together and put 700ml of 10w40 oil in and started it. put it on the bike stand put it in gear with the clutch pulled and just kept pulling the lever then started pressing the rear brake. it would bogg at first. then eventually it just kept getting better. So i got on it and took a ride through the neighborhood. It's tight and getting better but it wants to creep in first gear with the clutch pulled.

Sounds like the big thick thrust washer between the basket and the hub is dragging for some reason. With the nut for the hub tight, it should spin freely.

Id pull that hub back out of there and make sure the washer isn't upside down or something. You've got the basket bearing, then the basket, then the big washer, then the hub, and then the bendy securing washer a flat washer and then the nut, in that order, right?

The radius part of the big thrust washer fits in a certain way, off the top of my head I dont remember which.