Sign in to follow this  

1999 cr250 wont run

Hi everyone!

I have a 1999 cr250r, went to go change the 195 main jet out for a 190 main. So i pulled the tank, loosened the boot clamps, and tilted the carb so it was horizontal, then took out the plug on the bottom of the carb. Took the 195 main out put the 190 main in and put the plug in and tilted it back, and buttoned everything back up. Went out of the shop to fire it up and it started on third kick or so, went for maybe a 1 minute ride than it stuttered a little bit and booged out and killed. Anyone know what is causing this?? it wont run at all now and this is my first cr, any help will be greatly appreciated! and if you need anymore info just ask. Thanks for the help in advance!

There may have been some debris in the float that you stirred up when you tilted the carb. This could either plug the jet(s) or lock up the float. Might be worth taking back out and cleaning the carb.

I was maybe in about 1/4 through 1/2 throttle, I know i didn't melt down the engine. The compression is fine also, still nice and tight. The jet that was in there right now was a jet that was 5 higher than stock, I was putting the stock jet back in. How do I go about cleaning the carb?? sorry for all the newbie questions.

ok i have a few ideas for you /// first off put in new fuel if yours is not fresh next if you pull the fuel line off the carb and run off about half of a clear pop botle full and let it setle is their a grey sledge in the botom of the botle? and does it flow fast and steady? next hook up the line again and crack the float bowl drain plug see if fuel flows? ok good put it back next pop the spark plug install it in the plug boot set it on the head or some metal then kick it over observing the spark is the spark yellow? blue? no spark? thats some basics.if you have blue spark and fuel flowing from the tank fuel geting through to the carburator the next obvious thing is if you choke it and kick it over 4/5 times take out the spark plug is it wet with fuel? if all apears well i segest try an other knowen good plug or new plug its cheap and eliminates the possibility of being screwed around bye a 5.00 part get back to this site and report what you found and we,ll get it

Ok crf-500 did everything! so i put the gas in the bottle, nothin settling, the gas is like a week old 93 octane, no ethanol pump gas. Gas flows nicely out of gasline and bowl in carb. Nice blue spark, cleaned the plug off and gave her a few kicks with the choke on and it popped, took the choke off and it popped some more, but didnt have the tank on. will this help??

i would try a new plug if it still doesn`t fire check to see if your flywheel key isn`t sheared.

Well cleaned the carb and got it running for about 20 seconds, but there was a big air pocket in the gasline, and it wouldn't go away, so it bogged out and killed. Could this be the reason why it keeps killing? and can anyone explain why this is acting up like this??

Well cleaned the carb and got it running for about 20 seconds, but there was a big air pocket in the gasline, and it wouldn't go away, so it bogged out and killed. Could this be the reason why it keeps killing? and can anyone explain why this is acting up like this??

Check the tank vent and carb vent lines - you could have kinked a vent line when you replaced the jet.

Check the tank for trash, disconnect the fuel line and open the fuel valve, does it flow well?

Edited by AXAxiom

Got her all fixed up! thanks guys for all the help. Turned out the float valve wasnt working and wasn't letting fuel in, and the slow jet was clogged because the person I bought it from put nevercease on the jets and must of stirred it up by tilting it. Feels good actually fixing and learing how to wrench on my bike! thanks again

I was going to suggest the float just before reading your last post. Whenever I get into the carb, the first thing I do is drop the bowl and check the float operation and height out, but I also prefer to completely remove the carb from my bikes to work on them. Glad you got it going.

glad you got it.its a system and logical order of progresion will help big time,get a new plug try it out then put it away for testing purposes in case you ever have trouble, some times a plug will spark when its not installed but install it and it wont fire or run right. then again a lot of pepole here are dam smart when it comes to fixing bikes just ask but not untill you think