Sign in to follow this  

Heat for triple tree?

I was going to regrease the triple tree bearings(headset?) but the top nut is super tight. I think it has thread lock on it. My dad tried and couldnt get it so i said should we try the blow torch? he said he wasn't sure if you can do that with the triple tree and the aluminum and all...

Edited by antleo

You should be able to put a little heat on it without hurting the strength of the upper tree. I would put some wet towels in the refrigerator first then wrap them around the tree on each side of the stem. They will absorb a lot of heat and prevent it from transfering very much. It could also be corrosion as it can look powdery like Loctite. First I would soak it with penetrating oil overnight and hit it with an impact gun first. If it seems really tight and absolutely doesn't want to cooperate after soaking and applying some heat I would split the nut off with a hacksaw, cutoff wheel or dremel with a cutoff wheel. The nut is a lot cheaper than the lower tree. Hope it works out for you. Clay

Edited by nuity5

penatrating oil is a good idea ill try that but i dont have a heat gun or an impact...or a large enough socket so we were just using a wrench.

I got it no heat just some penatrating oil and an extension to the wrench... I got the thing to move so freely and effortlessly it seems like i spent hours trying to get that right...

So i cleaned my carb, regreased the shock linkage and swingarm, and regreased the "headset". Now all I have left is the valves and to replace thee header. I need to sell my bmx stuff first.