Sign in to follow this  

08 ktm 450 xc-f clutch drag issue @ idle

2008 KTM 450 XC-F with about 65 hours on bike. (top end done @ 50 hours)

Just recently I've noticed that the bike was hard to find neutral when stopped (running) and now MY ISSUE IS that when in gear (clutch level pulled in) and stopped the bike wants to move forward... and when in neutral (running) and I click it into 1 or 2nd gear - if I'm not giving some throttle - it'll bog and die.

It's as if the clutch is never disengaging...???

Just to try a few things, I went to a lighter weight oil (Maxima 0w10 synthetic) and set the oil level at around 1/8 on sight window - trying to see if this helps anything - nothing changed.

For the most part the bike rides well, but just noticed this in the last 2-5 hours of riding.

Springs?, Clutch? or something behind the basket wearing out? I have had clutches fail any just the opposite happens right - it never really grabs, where this seems to be an issue 180degree different...

Ideas? tips?...

I woud pull apart the clutch and have a look at the basket to make sure there are no groves in it. Also while your in there make sure the spacers are not warped.

I have the same bike with the same issue. My basket looks good and I bled the clutch fluid thinking I had air in the system. No luck,it still does it. It is much worse when the engine is cold. Keep me posted if you find the problem.

Most people seem to find the 450 clutch is grabby.

Mine used to do this as well it an 08 450 sx-f.

I found it was the clutch slave cylinder needed rebuilt.

Problem solved no more clutch drag, and nutural is so easy to find now.

Check out by thread posted about a month ago.

Which parts did you replace in the slave cylinder? In kit form?

Thanks

Slow