Sign in to follow this  

Is this chain block out too far?

I know i dont have any more adjustment room left, but is this chain block too far out? Not sure if there even is a too far out. Can/should i get a new chain or remove a link?

1329621756.jpg

Your chain looks way too tight in that picture. When the bike is on the stand, the chain will visibly sag down a bit when it's right.

Running the chain too tight will interfere with your rear suspension, stretch the chain badly and possibly break your rear hub.

This is from a Yamaha service manual:

IMGP2399.jpg

• Like 1

I used my first three fingers as a spacer at that slider when i did it. Its possible i over compensated as the chain was waayyy too loose when i got the bike back. I havent ridden since i adjusted so ill recheck for sure

that chain is way too tight man. chain should be visible sagging when stationary.

once the bike compresses under load, it pulls the wheel back and tightenes the chain to account for jumping.

you can easily snap a chain thats too tight, and cause some real damage.

Seems the concensus is in haha. Manual says about a half inch of play on the bottom of the chain for a 91. Is that a typo? I think im seeing about that much when i pull on it but i agree that it looks tight when compared to pics of other bikes. Thx guys for the quick input. Good thing i didnt ride yet!

yeah. years will vary. i had a 92 once and it was supposed to be adjusted 35mm. i went ahead and adjusted for 50mm. never had a problem, never jumped out of sprocket. better a bit loose that too tight.

yeah. years will vary. i had a 92 once and it was supposed to be adjusted 35mm. i went ahead and adjusted for 50mm. never had a problem, never jumped out of sprocket. better a bit loose that too tight.

So true.

I've seen guys catapulted off their bikes because their chain was too tight.

The suspension cannot compress because it is stopped by the overly-tight chain. The chain (and everything it is connected to) now becomes a springing mechanism.

All that metal -- engine cases, sprockets, shafts, chain, the rear hub and swingarm -- doesn't respond well to these loads, They will all flex for an instance (if something doesn't break), then SNAP back into position, jerking the swingarm down with violent force, and launching the rider.

Very ugly.

If you can, adjust the chain with the shock removed. You will be able to swing the rear suspension through its motion and see exactly where the chain is the tightest. Its pretty enlightening.

Chain is tightest when the countershaft, swing arm pivot, and rear axle are all in line. That's the old school way to adjust your chain...remove the shock, align the points, and adjust to just a touch of slack when all are lined up. Learned it it the 60's, and still do it today. Of corse, it's a bit more work now that you can't just unbolt the bottom shock bolts and swing the shocks out of mthe way!

• Like 1