Sign in to follow this  

05 RMZ 450 question

New to dirt bikes. Bought a 05 RMZ450 the guy i bought it from had just had the timing chain and tensioner replaced. I rode it maybe 5 hrs. Changed the oil and cleaned air filter last night . Rode this morning bike running fine, I hit a little jump when i landed I heard a rattle clanging noise engine stopped. Tried to kick over bike kicked through the first time then locked up. I drained oil no metal shavings, pulled clutch cover, clutch looks ok as far as i can tell. Not sure what happened any ideas would be helpful. I am new dirtbikes and dont know where to start. Just know I dont have $2000 for a rebuild by a pro right now.

Take the cover off the top of the head and check the cam chain. If it still looks tight, take the timing cover off the ignition side. Try to turn the crank counter clock wise with a socket. This will let you know if its locked up or not. Go to top dead center on the comprssion stroke and check you valve clearances. Its a process of elimination.

Take the cover off the top of the head and check the cam chain. If it still looks tight, take the timing cover off the ignition side. Try to turn the crank counter clock wise with a socket. This will let you know if its locked up or not. Go to top dead center on the comprssion stroke and check you valve clearances. Its a process of elimination.

thanks i will start there

ripped the bike apart today. intake valves were bend up pretty good. cam chain was really tight i guess the bike jumped time and smashed the intake valves the exhaust valves were a little bent but nothing like the intake valves. ordered 4 new valves today. guess i need a new cam chain also? might as well rebuild the top end since its ripped apart. wondering if there is anything else i need to be checking? the piston has some wear on it. it doesnt have any play up and down just side to side. what else should i be checking before i try to put it back together?

check crank, cylinder, and you will need valve seals and you can probably use your valve locks and check springs and valve seats. That sucks though. you can probably get by just replacing valves and oil seals.

Piston doesn't look bad has a little nick where it hit the valves, I ordered new valves and guides. Do I also need a new cam chain? Going to order the oil seals like you said. How about the piston will I need to replace that also? Thanks

Piston doesn't look bad has a little nick where it hit the valves, I ordered new valves and guides. Do I also need a new cam chain? Going to order the oil seals like you said. How about the piston will I need to replace that also? Thanks

The piston was hit hard enough to bend the valves. I would replace it to be safe. You don't want to put all the money into a new top end and not do a piston. And yes, a new cam chain would be good insurance. Kind of odd that it jumped time if the cam chain was really tight?

yeah the chain was really tight when we pulled the cover. intake valves were messed up bad. i took the cylinder in to have a mechanic look at it and tell me if it needs to be replated. he said it does, so does anyone know of a good place to get it done that isnt going to break my pocketbook?

The piston was hit hard enough to bend the valves. I would replace it to be safe. You don't want to put all the money into a new top end and not do a piston. And yes, a new cam chain would be good insurance. Kind of odd that it jumped time if the cam chain was really tight?

I'm with him ^^ Really weird that the cam chain, which sounded to be in good running order, would jump time. And what about the fact you bought this bike from a guy and only 5 hrs of riding time later some serious damage was done? Good luck!

Check the cam chain adjuster. Mine had a ridge where the set screw was run in real hard, causing it to hang up and not keep proper tension on the chain guide.