Sign in to follow this  

ACL Replacement (On The BicycleToo Soon) Can I Ruin My Allograft?

Here is the deal...

I busted my ACL 6 years ago and had it fixed with an Allograft by a very good doctor. Several months ago I crashed hard and felt like I busted it again but not all the way this time. I started spending a lot of time on my bicycle to strengthen the knee and I really built up my strength and was doing great. I took a step off of a retaining wall and BAM it was done.

I had the same doctor do it again with an Allograft. I worked diligently at icing and doing things right before and after surgery. Lying on the couch has been killing me though and I want to ride at least my new road bike.

So at the two week time frame I've been out for a couple rides on my road bike. I understand that one dab or putting the foot down can do damage but my question is if I have no pain and I don't crash/put my foot down can I be certain that I am not doing damage to the Allograft? I am concerned about tearing it and not having feeling as well as ripping out the plastic screws. Am I crazy? It's been less than two weeks and most folks can't believe I can walk without limping much less want to ride the bike at a moderate level.

I have my opinions on this subject, which I will wisely keep to myself.

All I can say is that you should carefully follow your doctor's instructions.

He was there. I wasn't.

I simply want to know if the riding of the bicycle at a moderate pace will or wont damage the allograft so long as nothing out of the ordinary happens ie crash, twisting etc.

Wow, it was a lot more than 2 weeks before I could get a full 360 degrees of pedaling on the exercise bike for me after ACL Recon. Look up "revascularization" and you will have the answer as to what you should be doing so soon after the recon.

Dude....ask your doc! I get the feeling you are going against his orders and hence why you don't want to ask him. I also get the feeling you are fishing for the answer your want...which isn't what he told you.

i was on a stationary bike in about 48 hrs....i think to much can happen on the road bike...