Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 65 motor swap

Hi guys i have a 05 ktm65 junk bike that has a completly trashed motor( didnt no it was as bad as it was wen i bought it) its literly just gonna be a project bike becuase its gonna cost 2 grand to fix. I wanted to see if it would be difficult to just put a 85 motor in to have the ultimate play bike. Or shuld i just stick with a 65 motor and not waste my time?

I don't think that you can fit an 85 motor on the 65 frame without major modification. If you can modify it that much to make it fit, there would be a few problems. You risk seriously damaging the frame when you change the motor mounts. 85 pipe is too long and tall to fit. The chain is a different size and can't fit the smaller sprocket in the back. The motor is probably too wide to even fit the frame. The carburetor is bigger and will not fit the intake boot on the airbox side. You will need custom throttle cables. depending on how much you bought the bike for, you should either go with the two grand, or part out the bike.

• Like 1

Hi guys i have a 05 ktm65 junk bike that has a completly trashed motor( didnt no it was as bad as it was wen i bought it) its literly just gonna be a project bike becuase its gonna cost 2 grand to fix. I wanted to see if it would be difficult to just put a 85 motor in to have the ultimate play bike. Or shuld i just stick with a 65 motor and not waste my time?

What exactly does the motor need? I'm looking for a 65 motor for a project, I may be interested in it depending on how bad it actually is.

What exactly does the motor need? I'm looking for a 65 motor for a project, I may be interested in it depending on how bad it actually is.

Im picking it back up from the shop today and there giving me a list of what it needs, i no for a fact the carb is done, the crank is bad, and the clutch is bad. I put a new topend in it but since the crank is bad it doesnt matter it wont start i think thats why they estimated it to be so high becuase they wouldnt reuse the piston in there that had 0minutes on it.. they just want more money i guess. are you near new jersey at all? All in all if you no how to do a crank and clutch itll fire right up and a used carb is mayb 70-80 bucks(i just dont have the time myself to do any of it or i would