Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 or WR250F?

Wanting to get another dirt bike and being 48 my MX days are over, I want a good trail / woods bike and I cant decide which one to get. 2001 I sold my YZ250 and got on the 4 stroke wagon with a YZ250F, loved it but a chore to service and then in 04 I quit racing and sold the bike. In 09 I picked up an 08 YZ450 for woods and trail riding and that thing was a beast in the woods and sold it a year later, I like the new WR250F and the YZ250 even though the YZ's are hard to find I have located two that are close to me and I have done a little research and found they can be great woods bikes with little mods fly wheel weight, gearing as the WR needs a wire cut, exhaust, suspension work. Just trying to see what others think about these two bikes.

I would go with the 2 stroke. they are a lot lighter, cheaper, more fun, and sexier than 4 strokes. Plus you can race it in the 250f class now so you can have way more horsepower for half the price as everyone else

Well the WR is already set up for trail riding so that would be my choice between the two. But like you said the yz can be turned into a capable trail bike. I guess it depends what you like to ride. 2t or 4t? Some people don't like to cut the wire because it makes it much more tame on the trail. Or some people make a switch to give them the option of more controllable power or yz like power.

Or you could get a 2t ktm. That would probably be my choice if it was an option.

Since, you'll be trail riding the 4t would need less maintenance compared to when you were racing but it will probably still require more than a 2t.

Edited by 79yamdt

there are good things and bad things about both bikes, the thing i like about the yz is you could still go to the track if you wanted to, easier and cheaper to mod the motor, and you can run klotz and make it smell good. I have a yz250f right now, coming from a yz125. And i honestly dont know how im gonna like the 4 stroke i just hope i dont say, i wish i would have got a yz250. With my luck im going to blow it up, but i found the best deal on the yz250f, 07 yz250f for 2600 and it has less than 10 hours on it cause the guys brother bought it before he went to iraq, the paint is not even wore off the clutch cover. So you might not have a choice to get one of the 2, id rather take the one i didnt want with low hours over the one i did want with alot of hours. The 250f is easy to find low hours, i couldent find a yz250 with low hours like a 250f. So thats a big thing to take into consideration.

The op said his "MX days are over", so being MX friendly is a non issue.

79Yamdt

He is talking about the grey wire mod on the WR which advances the timing and makes more power, not the opposite. There are several articles written about this procedure and I did it on my big bore WR.

Op

It really comes down to your expectations of the bike. The WR250F can be tuned to provide decent power. Im not sure what years you are looking at, but I think the grey wire cut applies to the older..maybe 98-2002 WRs. I just sold a 2001 WR426 with the grey wire cut, throttle stop removed, exhaust opened up, air box lid removed, and rejetted...that bike was a beast...it made a hell of a difference. If you want snappy power and dont mind doing the mods, consider the YZ...but you will never get around the MX gearing unless you change the internal gears...gearing down the sprockets will only limit top end...which is ok with some. Also, no light, no kickstand, and no coolant overflow.