YZ250, Good woods bike?

Wanting to get another dirt bike and being 48 my MX days are over, I want a good trail / woods bike and I cant decide which one to get. 2001 I sold my YZ250 and got on the 4 stroke wagon with a YZ250F, loved it but a chore to service and then in 04 I quit racing and sold the bike. In 09 I picked up an 08 YZ450 for woods and trail riding and that thing was a beast in the woods and sold it a year later, I like the new WR250F and the YZ250 even though the YZ's are hard to find I have located two that are close to me and I have done a little research and found they can be great woods bikes with little mods fly wheel weight, gearing as the WR needs a wire cut, exhaust, suspension work. Just trying to see what others think about these two bikes.

they are ok, there's much better 2 stroke bikes for woods, designed with less hit, softer suspension and more tractable power, but they are not made by the japanese, you have to look towards europe. You can mod a yz or similar MX bike to do what a proper enduro does, but it's expensive and you never really get the power and power delivery as good as a cylinder designed for it.

gasgas, husqvarna, ktm, husaberg

I have had both and I'm 225lbs so a 250 2 stroke would be better I think, I'm not a fast guy when I quit racing I was a top C rider, I want a bike with good power and one that handles good on trails (not big on single track enduro) some MX without big jumps ( I have to work on Monday) I had a YZ450 and it was too much for me for what I wanted to do, I'm afraid if I get the WR it wont be enough for me so that's why I'm thinking about going back to the 2 stroke as I enjoyed racing and riding them back in the day. As for the gasgas, husqvarna, ktm, husaberg, No thanks!!

I ride a 2006 YZ250 on trails (and the odd track day) and love it. It's a great woods weapon, now that I've modified it somewhat.

Fly wheel weight and/or Recluse is a good idea. I have a Steahy 9oz FWW on mine. Also put a 3.2 gal IMS tank, ProBillet Kickstand, Steering stabilizer and bark busters on mine, plus skidplate, FMF pipe, Q-Stealth silencer and rad guards. That pretty much made it into a woods bike....like a KTM but with a bit more hit and without the rad boilover issues. :bonk:

I have a friend who rides a '03 WR250F. We traded one afternoon this past summer, since we both wanted a taste of the "other side". My buddy always complained that the WR was too tame, and that it was too hard to loft the front tire. He was ecstatic about the YZ, since that'll pop up without any trouble, and is a much lighter bike. I found the WR to be heavy and sluggish compared to my YZ. I wouldn't trade....but my buddy might down the road.?

Fly wheel weight and/or Recluse is a good idea. I have a Steahy 9oz FWW on mine. Also put a 3.2 gal IMS tank, ProBillet Kickstand, Steering stabilizer and bark busters on mine, plus skidplate, FMF pipe, Q-Stealth silencer and rad guards. That pretty much made it into a woods bike....like a KTM but with a bit more hit and without the rad boilover issues. :bonk:

that's a pretty good setup you have, basically you turned your yz into a euro enduro bike, minus the cylinder porting, it's a LOT cheaper just buying a husky or gasgas though, and you get a wide ratio transmission

I'm reasonably sure the radiators are the same size, not that i've ever seen either of them boil over

I went through two YZ's for the woods. One being a 04 and the other a 08. Had a combined total of over 120 hours of riding on these bikes. Put a flywheel weight on a add a skidplate, anything 06 and up has the SSS suspension, which works fairly well in stock form for the woods. I've owned a 300 KTM and my buddy sold his 2010 husky 300 after two months of owning it, just not my cup of tea. Buy a YZ two smoker, you won't regret it! Just my 2 cents.

If you didn't like the power of the YZ450F you'll like the YZ250 even less.

If it was the kicking, stalling, and overheating you didn't like maybe a WR450F or YZ250 would be good.

I love my YZ250 in the woods with the mods but every so often I wish it was a WR450.(lights and electric start)

I owned a YZ450 and hated it in the woods. I've never owned a WR.

I have had both and I'm 225lbs so a 250 2 stroke would be better I think, I'm not a fast guy when I quit racing I was a top C rider, I want a bike with good power and one that handles good on trails (not big on single track enduro) some MX without big jumps ( I have to work on Monday) I had a YZ450 and it was too much for me for what I wanted to do, I'm afraid if I get the WR it wont be enough for me so that's why I'm thinking about going back to the 2 stroke as I enjoyed racing and riding them back in the day. As for the gasgas, husqvarna, ktm, husaberg, NO THANKS!!

Excellent "NO BRAINER" attitude sir! :bonk: ....Our discussion has just started then....

It might interest you to go ahead with the YZ250 further on once you see some of these trail videos:

http://www.thumperta...s-in-the-woods/

In Hawaii alone, a lot of hardcore trail junkies are on what others would say as "supposedly" MX-only intended YZ250?

I think this vid matches this thread....so here you go!

Edited by joshua_inigo

I'm 42 and ride an 04 yz250 setup for woods riding. If you have the money for a rekluse and can revalve the suspension I think you will love the yz. I trail ride, race and go to the occasional mx track and it works for everything. In probably 20 races I've never had a dnf....the yz's are solid. Go for it!

Wr250f be great for trails, but it be heavy, underpowered. Yz250 be best all around dirtbike probably ever. Good for trail with little work, good for moto right away. You get flywheel weight, rekluse be great if can afford. If not, just gear bike down little bit until adjust to 2stroke violent power. CaveMike use 48tooth rear sprocket when first move from 4 stroke. Him use for month, then 49 tooth, then back 50 tooth, where belong. CaveMike like buy steel sprockets, use for weapon when not on bike, impale small woodland creatures. Rock be just as effective but CaveMike feel much cooler using sprocket.

• Like 3

Wr250f be great for trails, but it be heavy, underpowered. Yz250 be best all around dirtbike probably ever. Good for trail with little work, good for moto right away. You get flywheel weight, rekluse be great if can afford. If not, just gear bike down little bit until adjust to 2stroke violent power. CaveMike use 48tooth rear sprocket when first move from 4 stroke. Him use for month, then 49 tooth, then back 50 tooth, where belong. CaveMike like buy steel sprockets, use for weapon when not on bike, impale small woodland creatures. Rock be just as effective but CaveMike feel much cooler using sprocket.

?:bonk:?

Well; since this is the Yamaha 2 stroke section of the forum, you will get a majority of comments favoring the YZ. I love mine and run the Rekluse, have worked my own suspension with the help of Dave @ SPI, run 14/50 or 51 gearing depending on which set of wheels I'm running along with a big tank, 7 oz FWW and steering damper. You did mention going with a Yamaha, since you raced I do not feel you would be happy with the WR, it's a great bike but at your size I think you will find it lacking. Contrary to what some may think, if you shop wisely you can get into what I have for about $6M. I still have not done the WR gearset but will when I find one that suits what I'm willing to pay for it. And for those nay-sayers that will tell you it has to much snap to be comfortable, with these small modifications my bike halls my 70 yr old butt around the mountains of NW Montana in fine style.

• Like 2

Well; since this is the Yamaha 2 stroke section of the forum, you will get a majority of comments favoring the YZ. I love mine and run the Rekluse, have worked my own suspension with the help of Dave @ SPI, run 14/50 or 51 gearing depending on which set of wheels I'm running along with a big tank, 7 oz FWW and steering damper. You did mention going with a Yamaha, since you raced I do not feel you would be happy with the WR, it's a great bike but at your size I think you will find it lacking. Contrary to what some may think, if you shop wisely you can get into what I have for about $6M. I still have not done the WR gearset but will when I find one that suits what I'm willing to pay for it. And for those nay-sayers that will tell you it has to much snap to be comfortable, with these small modifications my bike halls my 70 yr old butt around the mountains of NW Montana in fine style.

? Haha! Never been saith better sir haha!? ....You could have even flaunted it more by saying "in brilliant fashion"?

Same downright YZ250 statement should be heard by all orange folks who only think their so-called enduro-intended XC's, XC-W's, EXC's, KKK's or whatever KTM likes to call 'em, are the only appropriate bikes out there :bonk:

Edited by joshua_inigo

• 1 year later...

that's a pretty good setup you have, basically you turned your yz into a euro enduro bike, minus the cylinder porting, it's a LOT cheaper just buying a husky or gasgas though, and you get a wide ratio transmission

I'm reasonably sure the radiators are the same size, not that i've ever seen either of them boil over

Thread resurrection!!

It aint cheaper to get a Euro around here.

I'm not as skill as most here but i would say yes. You can buy around a 10 year or a little new very cheap and make it into something great. I find mine does great in the slow stuff except it find 1st gear is a bit too fast. But i run stock gearing and dont have much seat time. I also run a Pro Circuit pipe but i think that hurts bottom end compared to stock. I dont know because i never had the stock pipe on it.

I'm in the process of using my 99 yz250 for trails and woods. Here is what I have done so far:

1) Bark buster

2) Radiator guards

3) 13oz FWW

4) 13 tooth front sprocket (going to try a 51 and 52 rear)

5) FMF Turbine Core II ( I hear the Q version is "better" as it is quieter, but I was not concerned about that and I needed a new one)

6) Skid plate

That is about it so far. I need to get the jetting dialed in better as well as the suspension. I have been HIGHLY considering getting a Rekluse EXP as well

Edited by jentzschman
  • Like 1

I'm in the process of using my 99 yz250 for trails and woods. Here is what I have done so far:

1) Bark buster

2) Radiator guards

3) 13oz FWW

4) 13 tooth front sprocket (going to try a 51 and 52 rear)

5) FMF Turbine Core II ( I hear the Q version is "better" as it is quieter, but I was not concerned about that and I needed a new one)

6) Skid plate

That is about it so far. I need to get the jetting dialed in better as well as the suspension. I have been HIGHLY considering getting a Rekluse EXP as well

I run the turbine core II as well and it seems to work well. Heads up, you might see a little more spooge than using the shorty. No fear, it shouldn't be a problem. Just my opinion, but you will probably find the 13 front combo w/ a 50 or 51rear to be too low overall. Sure, it will crawl along, but will probably be quite abrupt power surge and winding out too early at any decent speed.Also, I know it sounds wrong on a race bike like the YZ, but I have also found a bolt on kickstand (mine's a Trailtech) to be a huge convenience when I'm out riding trails.

I run the turbine core II as well and it seems to work well. Heads up, you might see a little more spooge than using the shorty. No fear, it shouldn't be a problem. Just my opinion, but you will probably find the 13 front combo w/ a 50 or 51rear to be too low overall. Sure, it will crawl along, but will probably be quite abrupt power surge and winding out too early at any decent speed.Also, I know it sounds wrong on a race bike like the YZ, but I have also found a bolt on kickstand (mine's a Trailtech) to be a huge convenience when I'm out riding trails.

I have a 50 tooth rear now and it seems to be ok. If I drop to a 49 rear, won't that be the same as stock 14/50? I already hand a kickstand and love it!