Sign in to follow this  

looking at a 2007 yz250

i'm looking at a 2007 yz250 2stroke that is for sale. the bike is stock and has only about 30 hours on it. it looks to be in very good condition and was well taken care of. i was wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about this particular bike. thanks for any comments you have!

Yeah what he said^ except my advice is to not put an aftermarket pipe on it. they look worse in my opinion and MXA put a pro-circuit on their 07 and it pinged hard and then blew up lol. so if you do decide to put a pipe on (but please don't) you will have to re-jet it. I think that the 2006+ yz250s are the best bikes available as long as the 2012 sx250 isn't available.

Yeah what he said^ except my advice is to not put an aftermarket pipe on it. they look worse in my opinion and MXA put a pro-circuit on their 07 and it pinged hard and then blew up lol. so if you do decide to put a pipe on (but please don't) you will have to re-jet it. I think that the 2006+ yz250s are the best bikes available as long as the 2012 sx250 isn't available.

yeah i agree, just roll with the stock pipe. haha also about the '12 250sx, in my opinion they work for some people and they dont for others. im not sure what it is about ktm's but they just dont feel like a mx bike to me. they are great bikes, and fun as hell.. but theres just somethin about them. by the way how much are you getting this 07 for?

yeah i agree, just roll with the stock pipe. haha also about the '12 250sx, in my opinion they work for some people and they dont for others. im not sure what it is about ktm's but they just dont feel like a mx bike to me. they are great bikes, and fun as hell.. but theres just somethin about them. by the way how much are you getting this 07 for?

I feel the same way about the KTM's, i find the 300 motor to feel almost electric. They make power but it just doesn't put a smile on my face.

What are you going to pay for it? I have one and paid 2800 last year. I love it. The 06 and up pipes are great.

I feel the same way about the KTM's, i find the 300 motor to feel almost electric. They make power but it just doesn't put a smile on my face.

haha exactly! i feel the same way. the ktm might be lighter, faster, blah blah blah but it still is NOT a yz. for some reason the yamahas just have me grinning from ear to ear.

An aftermarket pipe is good for up to 2 hp over the stock pipe and depending on which one you get, is much stronger than the stock pipe. Plus the paint doesn't wear off.

An aftermarket pipe is good for up to 2 hp over the stock pipe and depending on which one you get, is much stronger than the stock pipe. Plus the paint doesn't wear off.

Ive never noticed a difference in any bike as far as stock vs fmf or pro-circuit exhausts. If I can't even tell the difference I do not want to spend $300 (shaving .01 seconds off each lap?). Id rather spend that on track fees and gas to see my lap times go up and my bike Still looking good with the black pipe

Ive never noticed a difference in any bike as far as stock vs fmf or pro-circuit exhausts. If I can't even tell the difference I do not want to spend $300 (shaving .01 seconds off each lap?). Id rather spend that on track fees and gas to see my lap times go up and my bike Still looking good with the black pipe

Aftermarket exhausts most definately can add power, just depends where you feel the need. The FMF Fatty is basically a stock pipe replacement, keeping the same type of delivery and feel. The SST is a bad pipe in my opinion, I ran one for a few rides just to feel the power and it made the bike hook up more and feel more electric, but at the added risk of much higher exhaust temps. The PC pipes typically are good pipes to add top end power if you are a revver. I know the DEP is a great pipe everywhere, I run one on my 125 and really like it, although I never tried one on my 250's.

However, honestly for the price of a pipe, you can have the motor ported and get a much bigger gain where desired. Pipes should be bought if you ruin the stocker and after you need one, just ask yourself where you feel the need for more power.

What is the ideal weight range for the stock suspension without having to change springs?

Pipes should be bought if you ruin the stocker and after you need one, just ask yourself where you feel the need for more power.

The whole comment was true, but i can only respond to this part lol

If it bogs any time I just take a stab of the clutch and rocket away like the milenium falcon haha

ProCircuit Platinum 2 and Moto Tassarini reeds with Motul 40:1 with a WR450F transmission (yes, it can be done with a little grinding so the first wheelgear fits, and so far my fastest GPS speed is 106 - miles not kph!) is just the tits. It is quicker and has more low end grunt than my YZ450F, but again that is probably not saying much for a fooper. I will never get rid of my 2007 YZ250. For me it is the perfect small two stroke (I had a large two stroke, an RZ500 back in '86, that just about killed me).

What is the ideal weight range for the stock suspension without having to change springs?

On a 2007 I belive I read up to 180

ProCircuit Platinum 2 and Moto Tassarini reeds with Motul 40:1 with a WR450F transmission (yes, it can be done with a little grinding so the first wheelgear fits,

Did you do the transmission swap yourself? Reason for asking is I have installed both a WR 400 & 426 set in the YZ's but not a 450. Just do not want to purchase something that does not fit, but never have gotten a direct answer on the WR450.

not sure on the exact price, but somewhere around 4000, and if i do purchase a pipe for it if i get it, i was most likely gonna go with a FMF Gnarly, where they are supposed to add more torque down low, sounds good for the type of riding i'll be doing, any comments on this pipe?

Did you do the transmission swap yourself? Reason for asking is I have installed both a WR 400 & 426 set in the YZ's but not a 450. Just do not want to purchase something that does not fit, but never have gotten a direct answer on the WR450.

The 2004 and later WR450F transmission fits into the 2007 YZ250. I did the swap. If I recall correctly the drive shaft is identical, the layshaft (that the clutch hangs onto) is different of course to allow for the different number of teeth cut into the shaft for a lower first gear on the WR. The trick was a bit of grinding on the right case of the YZ250 to get the first gear wheel to clear. The magic was on the clutch end of things. If you try this swap you'll notice that it appears the clutch primary gears are not lining up well (like 1.5mm off) and it seems the clutch is hanging out too far to the right. The WR and YZ use a different bearing, one is closed and one is open. I do not know why. As I recall I had to alter the thickness of the washer that sits between the the clutch and bearing supporting the clutch, or leave the washer out entirely, I'll have to check the photos. You will need to remove 0.175 inches from the right end of the layshaft (you will be removing material from the threaded end of the shaft). Likewise you'll need to remove 0.175 inches from the clutch actuation arm that rides in the center of the layshaft. This is not a trivial task but is completely do-able for a backyard mechanic like myself ('course I've been in the backyard doing this type of stuff since my XR75 days back in '73). Ah, also necessary to remove a bit of case surrounding the bearing so that the clutch primary drive gear clears. Go slow, plan on assembling/disassembling the cases a few times (so remove the crankshaft and plan on putting in new seals at least). It's a lot of work. It was worth it to me. YMMV.

The 300 is a woods/enduro bike. it is awesome at those particular conditions.